Mac won't recognize PDF file on disc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 2016 13in 4 Thunderbolt Ports 3.3GHz I7 16 GB Ram
I downloaded a 36MB PDF file and saved it on my Mac. I then burned a CD-R of the file.

I can insert the disc in a PC Windows 7 computer, and the W7 PC will read and import the file just fine.

When I put that disc back into the Mac, the Mac said it cannot read the information on the disc.

What is going on? Shouldn't the Mac read the disc? The PDF file is the only thing on the disc.

Thanks for any help.

Larry H

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How did you burn the file to disk and what method did you use? Also, did you close the disk and write the TOC? If you left the disk open that may be why the Mac can't read it. Windows generally has no problem reading CDs or DVDs that are left open for multi-session writing.

OP
Larry H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I right clicked on the file icon (which I had saved to the desktop). From the menu I clicked on 'Burn to disc'. I inserted a blank disc, and the computer burned the file onto the disc. The process ended and I ejected the disc. There were no other options offered after the burn was completed.

Is there another way? What is TOC?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is there another way? What is TOC?

I believe the disk was not closed if it could be read on the PC and not the Mac. The TOC is the Table of Contents which is read by the system.

I suggest instead of using built in burning that you download "Burn" instead which is a free program that offers many more preferences including closing the disk.

OP
Larry H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the help.

I downloaded 'Burn' and tried to use the app.

It appeared to work, burned the file to the disc, and closed the disc.

The computer still cannot read the disc.

I must be doing something wrong, is there a tutorial available other than the help file? I read all the info supplied with the Burn app and the help file, which I followed, but no joy.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may not be doing anything wrong if you burned the disk and closed it. There is no reason why your Mac should not be able to read it. Are you sure your optical drive is OK? Can you read other disks on the Mac that you've burned in the past? The fact that the PC can read the disk suggests it's OK.

I was thinking at first that the disk was not closed but now I suspect a problem with your optical drive.

OP
Larry H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chscag,

I suspect you are right about the optical drive. I tried to view a disc whose images were previously imported to the Mac. No joy at all. Computer says its a blank disc.

Good news is that I have the extended 3 year Apple care. I will be giving them a call.

Thank you for your time.

Larry H

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a problem Larry, glad to help. Let us know the result.

OP
Larry H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I called Apple Care and spent about an hour with the tech.

He determined that there may be a problem with the DVD drive and I have to go to an Apple store.

I will report back on the outcome. I am glad that I purchased the extended Apple Care warranty. I am now at 2 years 4 months of ownership.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Be aware slot loading optical drives used in laptops, iMacs and Minis do have a high failure rate. Jost gon through the threads or search faulty optical drive.

C

chas_m

Actually, in my experience as a former Mac tech I found that generally what would cause the optical drive to fail was ... heavy use. Those things get SUPER HOT when you burn several copies of discs in a row without allowing for a cool-down period and this is usually where they'd start going funky and die.

Not saying that's the case here, there are other factors, but that was the most common.

OP
Larry H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chas_m,

I don''t think my usage is 'heavy'. I seldom burn discs, and the disc last burned prior to the problem was only 35MB, and it was the only disc burned that day.

I will, however, remember your advice for the future.

Will the high temp of the DVD drive show up on the Dashboard temp widget?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is something to what chas_m stated about the optical drive getting hot. The iMac has three fans, one is dedicated to the optical drive.

However, there is also something to what Harry stated about slot loading drives. Nowadays though, my two Macs are hardly ever used to burn or even play CDs or DVDs. My and your next Mac will probably not have an optical drive. They're not obsolete yet, but it won't be long.... ;)

OP
Larry H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even though I backup my data to a good dual drive external HD, I still like the CD/DVD drive to create a non-electronic backup for my photos and data. A lightning strike or power surge can take out all the HDs in the computer and connected backup drive. Color me old fashioned, but I do not trust electronic backups. It is also easy to create CD/DVDs and store them in a remote location, that would not be subject to the same house fire. I also think the CD/DVDs would be more likely to survive earthquakes, and possibly floods.

C

chas_m

Sensible, Larry. I have no problem with cloud storage backups, but I don't mind having a "hard copy" as a second backup, more indestructible backup, whatever. Particularly in the case of digital photos, you can never have too many backups, and the more formats and locations you can put those backups in, the better.

As for slot loading drives, mine still works after almost 5 years, but I have had an external FireWire Superdrive burner for several years now and use it more often. In addition to saving wear and tear on my built-in SuperDrive, the external one is swappable – meaning I can replace the guts with another unit if it should ever fail, plus it's portable. A side benefit of the external drive is that it's not slot loading, so I can actually burn miniDVDs or odd shaped ones if I ever chose to (I haven't so far).

PS. This reply was entirely voice dictated on my new iPad using Siri dictate – it's pretty awesome, though hardly perfect!

OP
Larry H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chas_m,

Could you post the exact make and model of your firewire burner? I tried a Google search, but the term FireWire Superdrive burner is too generic.

Thanks

OP
Larry H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Follow up on optical disc drive problem.

I took the Mini to the Apple store. Nice place, I was greeted and asked my name. They already had my case info from Apple Care and did a troubleshoot on the drive. Conclusion was that the drive needed to be replaced. I left the computer and expected it to take two to three days. I was pleasantly surprised to get a call the next day about noon, the computer was repaired and ready to be picked up. The repair would have been $150USD but was free due to the Apple Care contract.

While at the store I got to play with several new computers, and got some Lion questions answered by a couple of very knowledgeable sales people. I also got to try an Apple keyboard and multiswipe trackpad.

Overall, one of the best 'product repair' experiences I have had.

Thanks to the experts here on this forum who diagnosed the problem as hardware not software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.