Macbook Water Damage

Reaction score
Yesterday i was using my macbook pro when about 10ml of coffee spilled on the top right hand side of the laptop.I turned off the laptop immediately and drained most of it out. I didnt think much of it since it wasn't that much so i decided to check if it worked( really bad idea). The laptop shut off about 5 seconds in. I turned the laptop upside down and left it that way for about 20 hours. I searched online for what may have occured and most suggested that water got onto the logic board and it was toast. I decided to take apart the laptop today and looked under both the optical drive and on the logic board. Both seemed clean and spotless and didnt smell of coffee or anything. The fan however had a drop or two of sticky liquid. Is it the logic board thats broken? Do you guys have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Apple computer die at the first sign of any liquid. It's like they have a sensor on the outside that triggers a Logic board failure with any liquid spilled on it, anywhere on the case.

Simple fact is your Mac is TOAST. Sell it for parts.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
C'mon Shootist, let's be realistic OK? Any computer, not just Apple are susceptible to catastrophic failure when liquids are spilled on them. And that's not just for computers, but for all electronic devices.

I worked on IBM and Honeywell main frames for years. One way to get fired was to enter the computer control rooms and maintenance areas with a coke, cup of coffee, or any liquid. Food was also banned.

Let's quit being so pessimistic and critical of Apple OK? Or take it to a Windows PC forum where perhaps your remarks will be accepted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
C'mon Shootist, let's be realistic OK? Any computer, not just Apple are susceptible to catastrophic failure when liquids are spilled on them. And that's not just for computers, but for all electronic devices.

I worked on IBM and Honeywell main frames for years. One way to get fired was to enter the computer control rooms and maintenance areas with a coke, cup of coffee, or any liquid. Food was also banned.

Let's quit being so pessimistic and critical of Apple OK? Or take it to a Windows PC forum where perhaps your remarks will be accepted.

Amen to that! One would think that an explanation such as your wouldn't be needed. :Smirk:

I always love the "super smart" ones that bring crap into a data center!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would add. I think that a lot of the folks that we hear from here on Mac-Forums with liquid spill related issues are a select group...that may be more accident prone or are less careful with their electronics than the average person.

I'm not saying all folks with liquid spill accidents aren't careful with their electronics...but when you hear of folks who:

- take their computer into a steamy bathroom taking a shower (high heat & humidity...BEYOND the environmental operating specs. identified by Apple)
- or someone who has dropped their iPhone into the toilet for the 4th or 5th time
- have a drink placed next to their laptop...and also have 1-3 cats in the house (and we know how cats can be);)
- have small children...who are bound to be curious or mischievous

These are situations that are accidents waiting to happen...or situations that are "recipes for disaster"!

I'm sure that the vast majority of folks are very very careful...and the folks we hear from with problems are a very small minority.

- Nick

Reaction score
That is just the way I see it and read about it. Like the OP. He states that he spilled a slight amount of liquid, not enough that the LB got wet, that he could see, but yet the unit is dead. There was another post on this or another Mac forum where a MBP wouldn't startup. The owner took it in and Apple stated it had water damage. The owner swears nothing was ever spilled on it. When Apple was asked they said it had corrosion inside from water/moisture voiding the warranty.

I've had multiple electronic devices that have come in contact with moisture of one type or another, like the Leica M8 I have that spent a lot of time out side in all kinds of weather for the past 6 years and it is still running fine. My Dell i8200 that is 9+ years old has been in hot humid and cold humid weather on construction site for hours without it ever giving me any trouble. I've even washed keyboard without them failing, although not while attached to a notebook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.