No ethernet on new Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro, 15-inch, Intel Core 2 Duo,
Please help me feel better about what I just read. Of course we will not know what the new Macbook Pro is equipped with until it is released, but I just read.........

"The MacBook Pro 2012 is expected not to have optical drives, FireWire and ethernet. Instead, it will make use of Thunderbolt and USB ports, and an SD memory card reader. Just like the MacBook Air, the design will be clutter free and simpler. As their saying goes – “The simpler the better.”

If this is true, help me with the following as I am a Macbook Pro owner of 4 years, but not savvy on what is meant by the above guess of the 2012 MBP.

What if there is no ethernet connection? In my office I am connected to a network. We have a server. I depend on this connection to get there. Because we have a facility with many people, connecting wirelessly to the network and the server would be possible - I assume - but then the server would not be secure to other guests in our building. Again I may be wrong here. Explain please so I will feel better.

I also connect to an external monitor as a workstation, with keyboard and mouse as well.

Please again tell me if I can do what I am currently doing or if I am busted.

thanks,

Dan of Troy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
It's a rumor till the new MBP's are released no-one outside of Apple knows the internet rumors get it wrong more than right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
If the link doesn't start with apple.com, then take it with a grain of salt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I would also dislike it if the new MBPs didn't have ethernet ports. I still use a wired ethernet connection daily so it would be a big problem if there were no ethernet ports.

All the rumors I keep hearing about the new MBPs makes me want to buy the current version before they are sold out. If all the rumors are true about the new MBPs, I'm not going to like them at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Plenty of USB > Ethernet connectors around for the MBA users, shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Plenty of USB > Ethernet connectors around for the MBA users, shouldn't be too much of a problem.
If the rumors are true that they may reduce the number of USB ports than I'll have to get a USB hub because I would use the USB ethernet connector all the time. The need to carry around a lot of accessories is the biggest problem with all the new rumored changes with the MBPs. It makes a laptop less convenient as a mobile device when I have carry around accessories.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I highly doubt they will remove the ethernet port from the MacBook Pros. They are more of a workhorse computer, not an ultraportable like the Airs. I can see many problems selling a "Pro" machine without an ethernet port.

As awesome as wifi is, not every business has it, especially one that can support a office full of machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Really guys? It is so silly to panic or get upset or even give it any thought at all until Apple makes it official. You'll know when the rest of us know and we can address it then if they do lack an ethernet port. Unlikely, though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.