clean install - do I have to reinstall all my purchased software programs

Reaction score
Hello all, I have been viewing this site for some time and finally joined. Hear is a question I can not get answered. I have heard that a clean install is the way to go. If I do a clean install, do I have to reinstall all my purchased software (e.g., Mac Office, etc) or can I use Time Machine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have heard that a clean install is the way to go.

Why is a "clean install" the way to go??...you haven't explained the situation.

You also have not explained whether you have a proper "Time Machine" backup. You only mentioned "Time Machine".

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Well, good question, my reading indicates that there are potential conflicts with various applications and that individuals observe faster access times and no locking of these program. Im just wondering because I can read until the cows come home, but I looking for a more in depth answer, which I really cant find.

As far as the Time Machine, well I use it, but have never had to recover anything, which scares me because when I have to I guess I really will have to get into it.

Basically, on on a hunt for answers and more in depth sources.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...my reading indicates that there are potential conflicts with various applications and that individuals observe faster access times and no locking of these program.

I'm still confused. It sounds like you've done a lot of reading...and a lot of research...but you haven't indicated or identified that you're having any sort of specific problem(s).

From what has been written so far...it sounds like you're searching for a solution...without having a problem.;)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score

reasonable reply... I want to upgrade to Lion from SL on my MB ... Is Lion a reasonable upgrade for my system with out a clean install. I guess that is it in a nut shell

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
reasonable reply... I want to upgrade to Lion from SL on my MB ... Is Lion a reasonable upgrade for my system with out a clean install. I guess that is it in a nut shell

Thanks for the info. This could have been mentioned in the initial post...so the situation would be clear from the beginning.:)

Need to know which MacBook you have...not all MacBooks can be upgraded to Lion.

And Yes...you can upgrade from SL to Lion without doing a clean install. BUT...double check to be sure that all your most important/most expensive applications are "Lion Compatible"...or have updates to be Lion compatible.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Even better on a MB is to do a clean install of Lion. When running OS X.6.8 download Lion from the App Store, $29.00, but prior to installing burn a copy to a USB thumb drive which will be bootable, format ask Mac OS Extended (Journalled) under Partition > Options select GUID scheme and then run installer.

Before beginning make sure your Time Machine update on an external drive is current, and after installing Lion update to OS X.7.3 and use Migration Assistant to transfer files, applications, network etc over. You may have to re-activate Office and some other larger applications.

Here is how to make your thumb drive:-

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/08/make-a-bootable-mac-os-x-10-7-lion-installer-from-a-usb-flash-drive/

If you do a search through the forums there are many instances of Lion performing slowly on MB and MBP after upgrading. Clean install seems much better. Hwre is one:-

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/257092-lion-install-over-lion.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.