Check this out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
Hey guys so recently the new HP Envy came out and it is comparing it to the macbook pro 13 inch model, the one I have. I have an early 2011 macbook pro 13 inch i5 processor with 8gb of ram. I have looked at this new HP Envy which is around the same price and I am REALLY starting to regret getting my macbook pro when I could have gotten this beast of a laptop that can be customized a ton and has double the specs. I know that Mac has the better OS but still this PC laptop is making me jealous. Anyone have any thoughts on this new computer? Should I switch? Anyone want to convince me not to think about getting a pc laptop?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I haven't had a chance to look at the new HP Envy in person - only looked them over on the HP shopping site. Which specific model are you looking at?

The 14" model uses the same Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics as does the MBA and MBP 13" models. However, I was impressed when I looked at their 15" model with the discrete graphics. Also noticed the 15" model is $300 less expensive than the 14" model.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't had a chance to look at the new HP Envy in person - only looked them over on the HP shopping site. Which specific model are you looking at?

The 14" model uses the same Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics as does the MBA and MBP 13" models. However, I was impressed when I looked at their 15" model with the discrete graphics. Also noticed the 15" model is $300 less expensive than the 14" model.

Yep I looked at the 15 inch model. Its amazing!! You can even upgrade it to 16 gb of ram if you want which I would probably eventually do! I'm not even going to get into the good specs it has right now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm actually in the market for a new Windows machine for the office. The older Toshiba we're using is so old it's developing gray hair - still working after two hard drive swaps. I'm not sure we want spend that much though this close to tax time. Also, I'd like to see some user feedback on that machine and some benchmarks.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm actually in the market for a new Windows machine for the office. The older Toshiba we're using is so old it's developing gray hair - still working after two hard drive swaps. I'm not sure we want spend that much though this close to tax time. Also, I'd like to see some user feedback on that machine and some benchmarks.

I really really want to tell you to get a Mac because I love my Mac and I love its OS but if you must get a PC laptop definitely get the HP Envy!! If not, and you need to spend a little less then you next absolute best option would be the HP Pavilion.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm all for buying a Mac for the office but the problem is I have to fight off my secretary and treasurer - who also happens to be my wife. ;P Plus I would have to run Boot Camp on it for the several proprietary programs that are only available in Windows.

We've had a HP Pavilion before some years ago. I'm not crazy about buying another since the previous one was a dog. We gave it away.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm all for buying a Mac for the office but the problem is I have to fight off my secretary and treasurer - who also happens to be my wife. ;P Plus I would have to run Boot Camp on it for the several proprietary programs that are only available in Windows.

We've had a HP Pavilion before some years ago. I'm not crazy about buying another since the previous one was a dog. We gave it away.
Hm. Well that bad part about running the bootcamp on your Mac is that it is going to use a lot of ram and speed from you computer so it won't leave you with as much as you start out with. So it's gonna be a little slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Don't use Boot Camp

That requires booting in Windows. Use Parallels then you boot once and can switch back and forth to Windows and OS X software as you need to.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That requires booting in Windows. Use Parallels then you boot once and can switch back and forth to Windows and OS X software as you need to.

Virtual Machine is probably the best in my opinion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Anyone else think, that with the lid open, it looks like a Macbook Pro? Coincidence? I think not. ;P

Reaction score
I was looking at them before I went with the MBP, was a brief consideration though. If you are looking for a powerful PC laptop look at a Sager, I had many Malibal Satori's in my cart while pondering the MBP.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone else think, that with the lid open, it looks like a Macbook Pro? Coincidence? I think not. ;P

yep! It does. Ugh. I hate talking about it! It makes me want it instead of my expensive fragile macbook pro!!! I love my Mac though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well it is your bucks. You want the Envy go buy it and offload the MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
I have a similar mac as you (2.4Ghz i5 Pro) and you can also upgrade it to 16gb of RAM & it should be the same with yours. Apple does not tell you this because although possible there tests with it were inconsistant or something (i was told this buy apple) and just advertise the max at 8gb. I have seen people around with the 16gb setup running perfectly, if you however need the extra power that the Envy may have (I don't know much about it) then go for it an dual boot some itteration of Linux when you don't when Windows. IMO I would just keep the mac and then when it's time to upgrade consider the PC alternatives considering the computer is only a year old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Hm. Well that bad part about running the bootcamp on your Mac is that it is going to use a lot of ram and speed from you computer so it won't leave you with as much as you start out with. So it's gonna be a little slow.

Sorry but that's nonsense. Running windows via bootcamp gives you full access to the hardware. I think you're getting confused with running Windows in a virtual machine

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.