• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPhone owner sues Apple over Siri

Reaction score
iPhone owner sues Apple over Siri

siri31212.jpg
Sure, Apple's Siri voice assistant isn't perfect. Sometimes there's network connectivity problems, sometimes background voice interferes and sometimes Siri is just plain wrong. It's for those reasons (and others) that Apple launched the service as a "beta." Despite the beta tag, at least one iPhone customer is not happy with Siri and is taking Apple to court, says a Wall Street Journal report.​

The suit was filed by Robbins Geller on the behalf of Brooklyn resident and iPhone 4S owner Frank M. Fazio. The lawsuit says Siri is "at best, a work-in-progress" and claims that Apple falsely advertised the service in its commercials. The complaint says,

In many of Apple's television advertisements, individuals are shown using Siri to make appointments, find restaurants, and even learn the guitar chords to classic rock songs or how to tie a tie. In the commercials, all of these tasks are done with ease with the assistance of the iPhone 4S's Siri feature, a represented functionality contrary to the actual operating results and performance of Siri.

The lawsuit asks for unspecified damages. As expected, Apple has not publicly responded to this complaint.

iPhone owner sues Apple over Siri originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Mon, 12 Mar 2012 18:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I still think Shakespeare was right! ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Hey.. you know, it's all about entitlement here in the United States. And for every person who needs to waste tax dollars and plague the U.S. court/justice system without justification, there are at least 20 ambulance chasing lawyers whom will aid them in their plight.

Sad, sad sad. If I were the judge, I'd have both the lawyer and plaintiff fined and jailed, and then made to perform community service for 5 years straight.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
And meanwhile, other people have real problems...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with Doug and MyMacRox. Amazing. What a waste of $$$.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
There has to be something in the water.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I just read this at MR. I just have to say this: I would love to sucker punch this guy for filling up the court systems with bogus claims. Has he EVER used any other phone with voice features? They advertise the same way, but lead to an unbelievable amount of user frustration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
This makes about as much sense as suing Burger King for presenting their food in an appealing fashion in advertisements. Perhaps I should sue some clothes designers as well for having models wear their clothes in sizes that actually fit and without the wrinkles they would inevitably get from a day's normal use.

Reaction score
Hey.. you know, it's all about entitlement here in the United States. And for every person who needs to waste tax dollars and plague the U.S. court/justice system without justification, there are at least 20 ambulance chasing lawyers whom will aid them in their plight.

Sad, sad sad. If I were the judge, I'd have both the lawyer and plaintiff fined and jailed, and then made to perform community service for 5 years straight.

Doug

Nah, just fine them with a good amount to cover all the costs. Jail just eats tax dollars again...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Nah, just fine them with a good amount to cover all the costs. Jail just eats tax dollars again...

True, but I'd actually be happy enough to spend MY tax dollars on something like holding these dbags accountable for their stupidity and greed. Lesser beings as those should not be able to share our public space! lol.

Anyway, I somehow doubt that this "suit" will go anywhere.

Doug

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So, a Brooklyn resident is surprised to find that a voice recognition system can't decipher his speech... wow, what a shock. ;)

Even having been born in northern Jersey, just minutes outside of New Yawk, I can barely decipher that accent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
So, a Brooklyn resident is surprised to find that a voice recognition system can't decipher his speech... wow, what a shock. ;)

Even having been born in northern Jersey, just minutes outside of New Yawk, I can barely decipher that accent.

Jersey folk always gotta be hating on New York in some fashion or another. It's okay; we know it stems from jealousy. :p

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Jersey folk always gotta be hating on New York in some fashion or another. It's okay; we know it stems from jealousy. :p

Well, I don't often admit to having been born in NJ... let's just say that I spent the first 9 years of my life there before my parents moved to Amish Country

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
This really is ridiculous. Siri is beta, that is all the explanation needed. But Apple also puts a disclaimer on the advertisement.

In other words, Geller is an idiot.

Reaction score

Doug

I agree with a penalty... but, rather than jail time, I would modify the 5yr community service to be "pro bono" legal services. And to curb the potential for lack of drive to win cases, I would add that every "lost case" or "mistrial" adds time to the 5yrs. :Blushing:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i
If one was to punish every frivolous law suit then wouldn't Apple be one of the most guilty out there? Not sure what this guy hopes to achieve in terms of damages as the iPhone only costs £499. Surely his legal expenses would exceed the value of the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
If one was to punish every frivolous law suit then wouldn't Apple be one of the most guilty out there? Not sure what this guy hopes to achieve in terms of damages as the iPhone only costs £499. Surely his legal expenses would exceed the value of the iPhone.

I believe you don't understand what a frivolous lawsuit really is.
A Frivolous Lawsuit is any legal claim that seems trivial and lacks merit. Often, an individual without legal counsel makes such a claim, and the claim is brought as a result of poor understanding for court processes and the law in general. The Prison Litigation Reform Act was enacted in 1995 to prevent inmates from filing such lawsuits.
To avoid filing a Frivolous Lawsuit, Federal Law mandates an attorney to thoroughly research the legality of all claims. Failure to make such efforts can result in serious consequences for all persons involved, including the representing lawyer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)

like to see them try and decipher mine.......i'd actually pay them to do it.....haahah

the USA is so law suit happy it's unreal........mind you i think the UK is not too far behind now a days....

:Sleeping:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
People think it's a quick and easy buck. I agree with the previously stated comment that we're talking about a beta product. If you do not wish to participate in a public beta, DON'T. Personally, there's nothing worse than a beta-tourist. They provide no value to the program.. at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.