Macbook Pro won't automatically connect to wireless network

Reaction score
My Macbook Pro won't automatically connect to wireless network without you selecting an available one. I have a home wireless network and a Verizon Mifi that I use.

Both work great, but the Mac won't switch from one to the other automatically if the one it's connected to is out of range and the other is on.

For example, I take my Mac from the house to the car to travel. I'm connected in the house, transfer the Mac to the car where the Verizon Mifi is already on. The Mac won't pickup the signal and connect automagically. Yet, my Dell Latitude does.

Thoughts?

Both Wireless Networks are listed under Preferred of course. As I've said I'm able to work fine, but I just have to manually switch between both. Is there a timeout setting I can change? Can I have it poll at one minute intervals?

Come on people. Give me something. The Dell cannot win in this battle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
Reset them like this - turn off airport from the menubar, then open network prefs > advanced > delete both networks from the list. Click Ok, then Apply. Now open keychain access (in Utilities), search for both networks, and delete ALL instances of them. Now turn airport back on. Rejoin the networks with their passwords as if for the first time.

Reaction score
I know this is a bit late, since this thread is about a year old... but this solution worked perfectly for me.

I had to deal with this issue for the past few months now that I switched out routers, so I'd gotten frustrated. Problem solved. Thanks for the great advice!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.