Installing QUCS on Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Hello

I'm using Macbook Pro for about one month (I have never worked with it before), and now I need to install QUCS (Quite universal circuit simulator), because I need it for the college. I tried to download version 0.16 (package) from sourceforge, and installation finished good, but when I try to run it from Applications, icon appears in dock for few seconds, and after bouncing it disappears, and I get the message "qucs quit unexpectedly". I installed QT3 and X11, but I still cant run it.

Has anyone installed it successfully? I really do not want to install windows or linux, so I would like to use qucs on mac os.

I'm sorry for my bad English, I'm from Bosnia and Herzegovina.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like the QUC application is either for PPC Macs or has PPC code. In either case it won't run on Lion.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can you post the link to the Intel version and I'll check it out.....

Reaction score
From their website: A few first versions can be downloaded in the download section. Please keep in mind that these versions are still incomplete and we hope that some of you will be able to compile and run the package by their own.

Know how to program?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You do not need to compile or program anything. I just downloaded the package and here is what it says:

This program needs a Macintosh with an Intel processor and MacOSX 10.5 (or higher) AND an installation of Apple's X11!

I just installed QUC on my machine and it works fine.

Make sure you have X11 on your machine and that it's working otherwise the QUC will not open or run.

OP
O
Reaction score
I have X11 installed, and for example netbeans and eclipse are working (they also need X11 installed on the machine).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have no idea why the program is not working unless it's not installed properly. However, there's not much that can go wrong since the installer package should put everything in the right place. All I can suggest is remove it and try installing it again. Like I said above, it's working fine on my machine running Lion.

Reaction score
Qucs building in snow leopard

Hi everyone

Last night I have succesfully compiled¿? Qucs 1.0.16 on my macbook pro running snow leopard.

I have simulated some simple circuits and seems to be fine. Just follow the instructions on the documentation site, install every previous software you need, first Xcode and X11, then in a Terminal shell install macports, then by macports install Qt3, and Qucs.

You just have to follow the instructions in the site for "darwinports" because the set for macports is not complete.

I hope somebody find this helpfull, I had not that lucky yesterday and spend like 4 hours trying to figure out how to install qucs and some direction would be really timesaving.

The installation takes time, so its better to have a faster internet connection.

Greetings from Colombia...

David

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.