I need help fast!

Reaction score
Hello MacForums,

I want to reset my iMac completly, like i got it when i bought it, the only problem is, i lost the cd that was with my iMacl. So what do i do know? Is there a way to download a new cd that i can burn to a copy? Thank you!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is there a way to download a new cd that i can burn to a copy? Thank you!

No...there is no way to download a "new CD"...and burn a copy. You need to purchase an install CD...and do the install.

You also provided no information on what particular iMac you own...or what it's specs are...so we cannot even suggest what OS version you need to purchase.

- Nick

p.s. You actually can download OS 10.7 Lion...but to do the download...you need a Mac with OS 10.6.6 or higher to do it. Or you can buy Lion on a USB stick. But my guess is...your have an older iMac...and if so (and you want to return it to the condition it was when purchased)..it probably did not come with Lion on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Considering you are in a huge rush to get info you've given scant details (which model you have, which version of OSX etc) so here a a few options:
1. Find it
2. Ask Apple to send you one (they'll normally just charge an admin fee)
3. Buy a new one
4. If you're on Snow Leopard you can upgrade to Lion, create a Lion DVD and do a clean install
5. If you're on Lion already you can use the recovery mode to do a clean install

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
No help really?

By the way...you really should give folks more than 27 minutes to view & reply to your original post.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You might have to wait more than half an hour for a response, especially on a work day. Many of us work and/or go to school during this time. To help for the future, a more descriptive title helps - many people will ignore threads that have non-descript titles.

As for your question, no, you can not download another copy unless of course you're running Lion. If not, you'll need to purchase another disc or upgrade to Lion (if you meet the requirements) and use that installer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.