Will Lion still work?

Reaction score
I'm about to sell my mid 2010 Macbook Pro and am about to do a fresh install of Snow Leopard. I already have paid for and downloaded Lion from the app store and would like to download it again and re install it. Here is my question, after I sign out of the app store and sell the Mac, if the new user signs into the app store under his apple ID and password will Lion still work? For obvious reasons I'm not going to give purchaser my Apple ID and username to use, but I just am not sure if someone else signs in if Lion will give an error message or say it needs to be uninstalled for new user to use computer.

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The Mac App Store was used to just download Lion, and once installed, it doesn't "link" to a specific Apple ID or anything. It does blow the installer away, and if you wanted to re-download the installer, you'd have to use your Apple ID again.

We've had a few questions about people upgrading Snow Leopard to Lion and then wanting to sell those machines..

The thing is up to Snow Leopard, the Mac came with the physical installation media that would have to give with the sale of the Mac, but with Lion, you can just re-download it and retain a copy and thus install it on multiple machines, and not within the same household.

One option is that since the MBP came with Snow Leopard originally and you should have the original installation media, you might be obligated to only install and sell that and the new owner would have to buy & download Lion on their own later on from the MAS..

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the response. I tried to call apple and I even asked "am I doing anything illegal by doing this?" The rep said it was not. I understand that if the buyer decides he/she would like to do a clean install that they will lose Lion and have the physical Snow Leopard Media only. I just would like to get the most money I can out of the machine, and since I did pay for Lion I would hate to just be out $30 of OSX on the machine. Once again, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.