Hard drive/track pad problems - should I buy new?

Reaction score
Hi. I have a late 2010 13 inch Macbook Pro. Recently I had to freight it back to Australia, from Europe, so it has been through a bit lately.

Anyway a few days ago I turned it on and the mouse started moving and clicking on its own, opening new folders, or desktop items and making me unable to move the mouse where I wanted. I took it into the store I bought it from and the tech guy looked at it, and ran some scans through a separate system, and said my hard drive was broken, and while I can still use it I will have to replace it eventually. It started working again normally so I took it home, but about 15 mins later it started doing it again. I took it in again and he says it hasn't been having the problem all the time but he thinks its either the track pad or a connection to the main system board or something (I don't really know much about computers), and if it was the second one it wouldn't be worth fixing. Has anyone's ever done this before, and if so how did you fix it?

Although now I am thinking, that with the cost of a new hard drive, track pad and getting it all installed as the best case scenario, it might be best me just buying a new Macbook Pro. Would this be the case? How much do you think it would cost (approx) to get it all repaired? While looking on this site, I have noticed some people are saying a new Macbook may be coming out in April (?) would it be worth waiting for this upgrade? I do kind of need a computer now, for study, but if it's a really significant upgrade I could consider waiting. If I did decide to buy one now, is there a significant difference between the 13 inch with the 2.4ghz i5 or the 2.8ghz i7, one worth the price?

Thanks for any advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.