Windows SP 3 + Bootcamp issues

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm running a 17" Macbook Pro Laptop that was purchased in 2007 with the Leopard operating system. Since then, I've recently upgraded to Snow Leopard (10.6.8). Other Stats: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. I also have a Bootcamp partition that is running a licensed version of Windows XP.

Now my problem is, I need to install a program (in windows) for academic reasons but no matter what I do, it doesn't load properly. After some research online, I figured the problem I'm facing is that I've long neglected to update my windows. I update and install the Windows SP 2 with no problem. But when I try to install SP 3, I get a message saying I don't have enough space to install (specifically 4mb) even though I have plenty! Some more research led me to understand that I need to download the boot camp 2.1 from apple. I download it, but as soon as I try to run and install it, I fails to launch.

If anyone could please help me out with this problem as I'm at my wits' end. I'm considering deleting the partition and upgrading windows version with the SP 3 already included. I don't even know if that is possible/could be an option because I'm not exactly the most tech-savvy person in the world! Thanks in advance

Reaction score
The message probably means that your hard disc is fragmented and you don't have enough contiguous space to perform the SP3 upgrade (probably requires more space for the actual install than the net increase in used space). You could delete the BC partition by restoring it and then reinstalling, but if that's the case you will likely have the same issue. You can try a third party defragmenting software program like iDefrag first - will be cheaper than buying a new copy of Windows.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.