Windows Service Pack 3 + Bootcamp Compatibility

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm running a 17" Macbook Pro Laptop that was purchased in 2007 with the Leopard operating system. Since then, I've recently upgraded to Snow Leopard (10.6.8). Other Stats: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. I also have a Bootcamp partition that is running a licensed version of Windows XP.

Now my problem is, I need to install a program (in windows) for academic reasons but no matter what I do, it doesn't load properly. After some research online, I figured the problem I'm facing is that I've long neglected to update my windows. I update and install the Windows SP 2 with no problem. But when I try to install SP 3, I get a message saying I don't have enough space to install (specifically 4mb) even though I have plenty! Some more research led me to understand that I need to download the boot camp 2.1 from apple. I download it, but as soon as I try to run and install it, I fails to launch.

If anyone could please help me out with this problem as I'm at my wits' end. I'm considering deleting the partition and upgrading windows version with the SP 3 already included. I don't even know if that is possible/could be an option because I'm not exactly the most tech-savvy person in the world! Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Hello!

I'm running a 17" Macbook Pro Laptop that was purchased in 2007 with the Leopard operating system. Since then, I've recently upgraded to Snow Leopard (10.6.8). Other Stats: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. I also have a Bootcamp partition that is running a licensed version of Windows XP.

Now my problem is, I need to install a program (in windows) for academic reasons but no matter what I do, it doesn't load properly. After some research online, I figured the problem I'm facing is that I've long neglected to update my windows. I update and install the Windows SP 2 with no problem. But when I try to install SP 3, I get a message saying I don't have enough space to install (specifically 4mb) even though I have plenty! Some more research led me to understand that I need to download the boot camp 2.1 from apple. I download it, but as soon as I try to run and install it, I fails to launch.

If anyone could please help me out with this problem as I'm at my wits' end. I'm considering deleting the partition and upgrading windows version with the SP 3 already included. I don't even know if that is possible/could be an option because I'm not exactly the most tech-savvy person in the world! Thanks in advance :)

Have manually updated any drivers in Windows? Specifically the graphics driver? Or do you have a virtual graphics driver from a remote desktop app like log me in, splashtop etc?

If so, use windows device manager to roll back to the original driver version. Then retry the bootcamp update

OP
L
Reaction score
I have not manually updated anything in Windows. In fact, the only time I think I've updated anything is the SP 2 I installed recently. I also tried looking for the Windows device manager to see what my options were and I couldn't find that.

I'm running boot camp 1.3 beta if that helps at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
try this:
1. Click Start – Run – Type "regedit" - no quotes and press enter.

2. Navigate to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\Software
\Microsoft
\Windows
\CurrentVersion
\Setup

3. In the right pane, Right-click and select New - String value

4. Enter "BootDir" - no quotes, and set its value to "C:\" - no quotes

5. close regedit and restart windows

OP
L
Reaction score
Did exactly as you said Mrplow but the Boot Camp update still doesn't launch. I also tried to skip that step and try and install the SP 3 but I still ran into the same problem. Thanks for the suggestion though! Any other ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm running boot camp 1.3 beta if that helps at all.

There's your problem. The Boot Camp beta expired a long long time ago. Time to wipe the drive and start over with the proper version of Boot Camp. And yes you can load Windows XP SP3.

OP
L
Reaction score
My least favorite option! Actually it's more like my only option :)

Now I guess my question would be, what version of Windows would I be able to run on bc? I know my system is fairly old and from what I understood, I can install Windows 7 or XP. The part that is unclear to me is what bit would work on my system for the XP version (I know for Windows 7 it has to be the 32 bit)?
And does the bit make a difference in how smoothly the boot camp runs?

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just backup anything you need to keep in windows. Boot into OSX then use the bootcamp assistant to remove then recreate the bootcamp partition. Then just re-install XP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.