Error beeps on startup?

Reaction score
I have been having issues getting my SSD to work in my mid-2010 13" MBP. Now it seems that the issue may be with the internal SATA cable, because the SSD works fine externally with the SATA to USB adapter. I'm visiting my brother though, and figured I would try my HDD and new SSD that I cannot get working internally with his early 2011 13" MBP. When I install either my SSD or my HDD into his laptop and start it up, it gets stuck on the Apple logo and continually makes these three consecutive beeps. What could be causing this? are my drives (original HDD that came with laptop and Intel 320 series SSD) not compatible with his slightly newer MBP?

To be clear, I would like to install my SSD in my brother's MBP just so I know it does work internally.

Reaction score
Lola what version of OS X are you running on your Mac.
Even if you are using the same OS X version could be that the drivers used for your Mac are not compatible with his Mac.

OP
L
Reaction score
Lola what version of OS X are you running on your Mac.
Even if you are using the same OS X version could be that the drivers used for your Mac are not compatible with his Mac.

I use 10.6.3, and I know my brother had Lion on his. If I completely erase my drives, would they then work in his?

Reaction score
I use 10.6.3, and I know my brother had Lion on his. If I completely erase my drives, would they then work in his?

Yes but you would need to install another OS X version on while it was connected to his Mac and that was compatible with his Mac, like Lion.

There are a few ways to do that. Did you bring your SATA adapter with you?

If you did then connect the SSD to his computer with it and boot his computer to the Recovery HD. When there use Disk Utility to erase your SSD and then reinstall OS X on your drive.
Then put your SSD in his computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.