Will I be able to get a iPad 3 in store on 16th March?

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time poster, so don't shout at me :D

As the subject says, I'm looking to get my first iPad, and was wondering whats the chances of being able to get a iPad 3 in store on 16th March? I live near two stores in the UK, and would like to go in on the 16th and just buy in store. Will this be possible, or will they only have limited stock? or pre-orders? I would be buying the 32gb Wi-Fi version. What's everyone's experiences with previous iPad launches?

Thanks

Cheers
Shaiboyuk

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
They will have limited stock. I'm not sure what it's like in the UK, but in the US, they are already queueing up at some of the higher traffic stores.

If you didn't preorder it (for delivery to your door on the 16th), then I'd recommend checking the status of your local store and planning on getting there early.

OP
S
Reaction score
They will have limited stock. I'm not sure what it's like in the UK, but in the US, they are already queueing up at some of the higher traffic stores.

queueing already? 5 days before launch :eek:

If you didn't preorder it (for delivery to your door on the 16th), then I'd recommend checking the status of your local store and planning on getting there early.

I was going to pre-order, but didn't have the money until last night and now saying 2-3 weeks for delivery :[
How would I check the status of my local store?

Thanks for your reply :Cool:

Cheers
Shaiboyuk

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
S
Reaction score
Thats hardcore!

I've done it once for a store opening here in Glasgow, UK.
But wouldn't be able to this week until thurday as can't get time off work :/

I'll try calling the store later and see if they will let me know how many they will have on launch day ;D

Thanks again

Cheers
Shaiboyuk

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, people are pretty passionate about their Apple gear, that's for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Hmm - I wonder if they are limiting UK stock. I just checked the US online store and shipment is March 19th still (which is still later than the March 16th delivery of pre-order) but not 2-3 weeks out. I know one of the articles mentioned that this is the first time they are releasing the iPad across several regions for first delivery - but it didn't say anything about stock distribution.

C

chas_m

I would say your chance of getting a new iPad from a store on March 16th is roughly approximately equal to your chance of winning the lottery while being struck by lightning while out on a date with Kate Moss.

If you're not already in line then I'd say the second shipment is much more likely, whenever that is (I think the 19th but that's just a guess).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
I am in no rush for an IPad 3. I will wait 3-4 months after release and see if it is worth the upgrade. May just wait for the Newer IPad (4)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
In case anyone reads this and is in the U.S. looking to get a 4G model, I just read that Verizon and AT&T will be selling new iPads (4G models only, of course) in their stores. That should alleviate some of the lines at the stores.

Reaction score
If i don't get and ipad 3 (in stores) on march 16th when will be the (next)* time I will be able to go to the store and buy it? Reply asap please

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If i don't get and ipad 3 (in stores) on march 16th when will be the (next)* time I will be able to go to the store and buy it? Reply asap please

You're guess is as good as ours. We are not affiliated with Apple, Inc.

Reaction score
Will I be able to buy the ipad 3 on march 16th at 11:20 eastern time. Can u tell me the chances of me buying an ipad 3 that day and that time?(in stores)

What are the chances of me being able to go to the store to buy an ipad 3 on march 16th 11:20 eastern time? What are the chances of me buying one that day at 11:20 knowing that people will be on line waitng for it also?

What are the chances of me being able to go to the store to buy an ipad 3 on march 16th 11:20 eastern time? What are the chances of me buying one that day at 11:20 knowing that people will be on line waitng for it also?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will I be able to buy the ipad 3 on march 16th at 11:20 eastern time. Can u tell me the chances of me buying an ipad 3 that day and that time?(in stores)

No one here would be able to give you that answer.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

You're making my brain hurt.

Reaction score
Yes and No

I bet that there will still be models in physical apple stores and resellers, but on the website orders are already posponed for 3 weeks since people are going crazy pre-ordering them.

One more thing, oddly enough, it is not called iPad 3, it's called simply "the new ipad". Seriously, I'm not kidding.

C

chas_m

One more thing, oddly enough, it is not called iPad 3, it's called simply "the new ipad". Seriously, I'm not kidding.

That's not actually correct, and it's not all that odd really. It's just Apple going BACK to their original idea, which was not to give Apple stuff complex names.

The new iPad is, in fact, just called "iPad." The "the new" part is just marketing, like "iPod Touch (fourth generation)." The "Fourth Generation" part was never actually part of the name, and in fact the iPod Touch has always been called just "iPod Touch."

I'm writing this on a 2007 Black MacBook. On the machine itself, it's just called "MacBook" like all the other MacBooks (iMacs, Mac Pros, MacBook Airs, MacBook Pros etc) are called.

So how do we distinguish one model from the other? The same way we do with cars and virtually everything else: by year (if they come out yearly) or by generation (as we already do with iPods and most other Apple products).

So the original iPad could be dubbed the first-gen iPad or the 2010 iPad, but it doesn't change the fact that it's actually just called "iPad."

It's only confusing because Apple deviated AWAY from its own naming convention. Now they are going back to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.