OS X lion, why so slow and stupid?

Reaction score
I need some help, ever since I got Lion, it's an unfortunate pile of garbage. It's slow, takes way to long to boot or shut down, and the mouse/trackpad fails to work right.

One recent mouse pointer problem was when I tried to use rage maker(redditors will know) and the mouse wouldn't select anything. It also highlights some things but keeps them highlighted even if I move the mouse away, as though it doesn't know the pointer left.

Other problems I have result in the whole system being laggy(generic, right?).

I have a 17" MacBook Pro, with 8gb of ram and an i7 processor(basically got the best parts for january 2011).

OS X Lion is garbage. Can't wait for the next one, maybe it'll actually work :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Did you just upgrade to Lion or did you do a clean install and copied your files over?
I ask this because I just upgraded at first and it was slow/laggy/etc. I then did a clean install and brought my files back from a backup and it has been super fast with no problems whatsoever.
And I have a Late 2008 MBP thats way slower than yours.

Reaction score
I had exactly the same problem. Tried all the tips I found on internet, upgraded the firmware and so on. To no avail.

Eventually I downgraded to Snow Leopard, and everything runs like a dream! It´s so fast and I don´t miss the Lion "features" a single bit.

Reaction score
Lion IS slow

Ever since I upgraded to Lion, I have noticed extremely long start-up times, program open times, and performance issues. I have searched forums, Apple support communities, and all over the internet, and have found only one common issue - Lion is intolerant of things that Snow Leopard didn't care about.

I have cleaned up my computer - removing thousands of fonts, localization (removing language files), purging hundreds of HP printers I don't own, removing startup items, running scripts to stop the "restore state" IOS-like behavior.

All of this has led to a faster Lion experience. Not fast, just faster. I am convinced that it will never be as fast as SL. Now I spend some time every week with Onyx (free) and Cocktail, cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. I run maintenance scripts, clear caches, and remove languages whenever there is an update to a program.

I still want to find other suggestions from users because that extra "nanosecond" is valuable.
Keep the suggestions flowing!

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
With laptops a clean install sure seems the way to go. Do a search of the forums looking at similar problems and most recommended cure is a clean install of Lion. This is nothing new. Clean installs were the preferred option way back in Jaguar days OS X.2 rather than the upgrade path.

If you purchased Lion, go to the App Store, hold Option and hit purchase and Lion will come up. Double cluck to download another copy f.o.c. and burn it to a USB thumb drive which will be bootable.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/08/make-a-bootable-mac-os-x-10-7-lion-installer-from-a-usb-flash-drive/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.