Advice for boosting my RAM?

Reaction score
The guy at the Apple store told me I can boost my RAM by buying some new processors. He didn't give many specifics, though, which was a little frustrating. Right now I have a MacBook Pro 13". Here are the specs:

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

And here are my questions:

1) Can I boost the RAM on this? If so, by how much?

2) How much do you think it will cost? Can Apple likely do it for me?

3) If I can boost my RAM, should I do it? Will I get more use out of my comp?

It runs pretty well now, but I'd be happy to make it better. It lags a bit when I play games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The biggest problem you are having with games is the Mac that you have. The graphics card, a GeForce 320M, isn't particularly powerful and it shares memory with the system. Adding more RAM may help, but ultimately this model simply isn't well suited to gaming. Here's a guide to how to replace the RAM yourself:
Installing MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2010 RAM - iFixit

And where to buy new RAM:
MacBook, MacBook Pro

Full specs on your model:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-2.66-aluminum-13-mid-2010-unibody-specs.html

It takes a maximum of 8 GB of RAM.

Reaction score
You might additionally, if you haven't already, try closing all applications when you are trying to run your games. You can also plug directly through a network cable to your router, and turn off your wireless.

Reaction score
Also, what game are you running? You might also try going to those forums and asking how to fine tune game settings. The biggest performance boost IMO comes from lowered shadows and environmental detail, which dont make the game look all that much the better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.