Can you create an ipod from a flash drive?

Reaction score
I know this is a really weird question but I was wondering if there is a way to but the software of the ipod onto a flashdrive or hdd to act as a ipod. I just got a new stereo in my car that can read ipods and etc... and I wanted to buy a travel hdd or flashdrive to put all my music on but have it act as a ipod would? Hopefully this makes a little sense... Thanks in advance

Reaction score
I know this is a really weird question but I was wondering if there is a way to but the software of the ipod onto a flashdrive or hdd to act as a ipod. I just got a new stereo in my car that can read ipods and etc... and I wanted to buy a travel hdd or flashdrive to put all my music on but have it act as a ipod would? Hopefully this makes a little sense... Thanks in advance

The vast majority of iPod ready car systems I've encountered also read MP3 files. Will yours not?
mathews_hmmm.gif

C

chas_m

Bottom line: no, and it would be illegal to do so if there was a way to do it.

If your car stereo can read USB flash drives, it will require that you put music on it in what I call "the DOS way," ie MP3 files with DOS-like filenames ONLY or it won't work (lowest-common-denominator thing).

OP
N
Reaction score
@chas_m ya that makes sense. I thought of that but in the back of my mind I was just hoping I guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I have plugged my flash drive into my car stereo and it reads the mp3 files from it so i guess that you could try that. There is no legal way to put iPod software on something that is not an iPod.

Reaction score

I don't think so, but you can get it developed by professional mobile application development company who has enough experience in developing this kind of software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.