2008 Macbook Air won't stay on.

Reaction score
Okay, so initially my problem was that my Macbook Air wouldn't turn on. After reading many forums, the only solution that worked at all was resetting the PRAM. When I reset the PRAM, the computer turns on, but it won't stay on. Also, the battery has an X over it. So, every time I have to reset the PRAM again in order to keep it on for just a short amount of time. Not even thirty minutes. Again, it is a 2008 model of the Macbook Air.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about getting a new battery for it?

C

chas_m

If the battery icon in the menubar has a X over it, that means one of only three possible things:

1. The battery is bad
2. Something is preventing the battery from making a proper connection to the rest of the computer (damaged connectors, sand, some other defect)
3. There is no battery in the notebook

So it's pretty easy to narrow down. With the machine turned off, inspect the connections; if they seem okay, it's almost certainly a bad battery.

You mention that it is a 2008 MBA; if that's the original battery, then I'd say it has gone bad right about the average time the original battery WOULD go bad, ie five years.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.