• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Switching to a Mac just for Video Editing?

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
new to the forums n'all so thought I'd say hi. :)

I am 14, soon to be 15 in May and I am into Video Editing, Visual Effects (3D and 2D, if that makes any difference to you) and currently work on a docked laptop. Dual Core 2.0GHz, 3GB DDR2 RAM and integrated graphics, with Windows on it of course. Recently I started using Macs at school and fell in love with them, they feel like they're a second home to me. I just know where everything is and feel so much comfortable using a Mac than I do with any Windows machine!
The only problem is I cannot afford a Mac, I want either the 21.5" iMac, or a MacBook Pro (15") because they're reasonably priced (for Apple!) computers that do exactly what I want.
Here's the big deal, I have no source of income (no pocket money, etc, etc). Do you think there could be some sort of scholarship at my school? Or anything like a scholarship?
I am tempted to get a i7 2700k, super power machine with windows on it, but it's just not what I want..

Any advice will be muchly appreciated!

Thanks everyone,
Maciej

C

chas_m

WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE ... haha sorry couldn't resist.

Evidently your school has Macs, so until you can afford one of your own you'll probably need to work on their machines. Obviously if you want your own machine you'll need to find a way to pay for one, buy someone's used one or get a parent or relative to help you offset the cost.

Where I live here in BC students can work starting at 14, don't know if that applies to you or not but I suspect if your folks or relatives see the commitment they may be able to help at least somewhat towards the goal. If you're too young to get a "job job," well, spring and summer are coming and lawns are going to need mowing ...

OP
M
Reaction score
The only thing about our school Macs is I get to use them once a week at this rate, but it still gets me happy!
I know of a local café that I could possibly get a job at, I'll have to investigate and see what they offer.

Thanks Chas! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.