Alternative programming tool

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", TC, Airport, Magic Trackpad, iPad
First of all let me say "Hi".

I switched over to iMac about 3 weeks ago and I love it. No I seriously ask myself why I did not switch years ago. Well, I'm here now and I'm here to stay.

I'm a old school Visual Foxpro Programmer and developed a lot of business apps over the years. Although I'm not so heavy into programming anymore as I used to be, businesses stil ask me to develop small apps for various database related tasks. I have some clients with Mac's and I never was able to develop something for them. I was just not into Mac.

Today is another day and I will kust forget about developing software for the PC but there's a programmer in my blood so maybe I can create some small business related apps for the Mac.

My question:
What is a good alternative for Visual Foxpro that runs on the Mac? I'm a old dog so it takes me time to learn new tricks!

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alternative Programming Tool

First of all let me say "Hi".

I switched over to iMac about 3 weeks ago and I love it. Now I seriously ask myself why I did not switch years ago. Well, I'm here now and I'm here to stay.

I'm a old school Visual Foxpro Programmer and developed a lot of business apps over the years. Although I'm not so heavy into programming anymore as I used to, businesses still ask me to develop small apps for various database related tasks. I have some clients with Mac's and I never was able to develop something for them. I was just not into Mac.

Today is another day and I will just forget about developing software for the PC but there's a programmer in my blood so maybe I can create some small business related apps for the Mac.

My question:
What is a good alternative for Visual Foxpro that runs on the Mac? WYSIWYG is a must. I'm a old dog so it takes me some time to learn new tricks!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Please don't crosspost. If you don't receive a response, feel free to "bump" your thread by posting in it to move it to the top (please do so only after a reasonable period of time though).

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please don't crosspost. If you don't receive a response, feel free to "bump" your thread by posting in it to move it to the top (please do so only after a reasonable period of time though).

I just "reported" my initial thread with the request to remove it because I was not able to edit it or remove it myself.

Thank you for re-categorizing my thread.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No problem - I only saw the reported post after I merged the threads.

As I understand it, VFP is a database management language that's main purpose is to let developer quickly write database applications. If that's the case, FileMaker might meet your needs.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...As I understand it, VFP is a database management language that's main purpose is to let developer quickly write database applications. If that's the case, FileMaker might meet your needs.

Very interesting. Thanks.

Not cheap, but worth to download the trial.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Reaction score
Maybe an open source Java framework is a good alternative

An open source Java framework is free and your application will run not only in your iMac, but also in Windows and Linux. There are Java Framework, such as OpenXava, just for creating datacentric application, as FoxPro, and easy to learn. Have a look.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.