iPad 2 hacked? Pretty sure it wasn't ghosting

Reaction score
First off let me say that my iPad is not jail-broken nor do I download questionable content from questionable websites. I keep only my games, reading material, music(all from CD's I actually bought), Crackle, and news on there. Also I have an app called Weatherbug for weather information. I also have Pandora. I have my emails attached but none have been hacked as far as i know. Plus I don't read my emails on my iPad often. So here is the story:
Last night I was on the default application for youtube. I was listening to music from the "Most Viewed" section. No other applications were open. I decided to leave it next to me and let the music play while I tried to sleep. It faded to a darker screen. After about two minutes, which is right before my iPad auto locks, the screen became bright. Crackle opened and a password was being typed in. It entered and closed the application before I could see everything. Next my Pandora was opened and it typed in an artist and started playing music. It also opened Safari but at this point I was spamming my home button. Nonetheless it kept opening applications and changing things. I tried cleaning my screen to see if that may have been the problem but it wasn't. It just kept opening applications, changing things, typing in words.I turned off my iPad in fear then turned it back on. I deleted all applications with connection to the internet and the problem has yet to reappear. I also put restrictions on everything I could after this happened. I did a search but nothing exactly like my case popped up. Any help?

I apologize for my poor grammar and spelling but it is my weak point. If any questions arise, I will respond as quickly as possible. Thanks in advance, hopefully it is a common problem I just couldn't find :D

OP
L
Reaction score
The problem reappeared last night. The same thing was happening but with Safari and the app store. Random pages I never visited opened( something to do with computers). I started clicking my home button but it kept opening Safari and then opening more pages. All I was doing this time was comparing prices for a trip I am going to take. I went to Orbitz, Hotwire, and Trip Advisor. I have restored my iPad and it hasn't reappeared. It didn't go into the app store much but it did download one game.

I guess no one has had a similar experience? If I can't get help here does anyone know where I should go? My best bet would be the Apple Store but I can't find anything wrong with my iPad. No scratches, no damage, nothing wrong with the programs or speed.

C

chas_m

I honestly have no idea what is going on, but for a starting point, tell us about the wireless network you are on. As many details as possible, please.

Reaction score
Hijacked iPad2

I just had the same occurrence! I'm using a friend's wireless, and suddenly someone took over my iPad. Random apps were opening, and letters started appearing in search fields. I quickly rebooted, and it started again. Rebooted once more, and it stopped. How did that happen? I didn't think that was possible on an Apple product.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13-inch, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7 Processor
Well, I'm assuming that since the original poster hasn't replied, the issue was either resolved or it wasn't a real issue at all. I'm certainly not suggesting anybody is telling a "tall tale" here, but it is quite impossible for an iPad to be hijacked unless you download a rogue app from the jailbroken app store, Cydia.

OP
L
Reaction score
Sorry I never responded. I ended up just wiping my whole iPad cause it seemed like the easier option. It worked. I ended up keeping a watchful eye on who is using my connection and no one was intruding. My password for everything has been reset and I am fine now. Not sure how or why it happened but I will only worry about that if it happens again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Is it possible that you have a teamviewer or a similar app installed.
If someone had physical accesses to your Ipad they could have installed this without your knowledge

Reaction score
Thanks for letting us know, Lodi. It hasn't happened to me again since the other night. After talking to Apple Care, they suggested wiping it clean and starting over as a new device. I may try that if the weirdness happens again. One odd thing, though. The Apple Care guy said my purchase date showed up as December, even though I purchased it in June. I didn't by it from an Apple Store, but from an online retailer through Amazon that had very high ratings. He had me look at the setting to confirm it wasn't jail broken, and it wasn't. So, he gave me the steps to get Apple to reset my purchase date to June, so I'd get the full value of the warranty.

Still, no one seems to have an explanation for the weird ghost writer on my (and your) iPad!

C

chas_m

No, we gave you an explanation. You had a VNC type app installed on your machine and someone had (or figured out) access to it.

That's why the wiping clean has eliminated the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
As I said, someone accessing your iPad with Teamviewer or such would give you exactly what you described.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I have no idea what's going on. Assuming no jailbreak and full disclosure by the OP.

There are no remote servers for iPad on the app store.Even with TeamViewer installed it's a client not a server. You cannot control an iPad in this way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just had a look and your right mrplow.

Reaction score
Also, chas_m and docx, the problem occurs when you disable wireless. So, it can't be any type of remote access issue. Apple Care wondered if it might have to do with the cover. That seems pretty far out there. But, next time it happens, I'll remove the cover and see if it stops.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.