Formatting and Partitioning external HDD help please

Reaction score
Hi- still new to iMAC (1TB) and loving it.
I have an external HDD 1.5TB and initiated TimeMachine (seems easy and fit for purpose) to keep a backup of everything on the iMAC

The iMAC did not come with an installation disc – apparently I would need to download the OS again should it fail or corrupt – unfortunately I have a VERY slow net connection – is there any way of backing it up to the external HDD to avoid having to download?
Would cloning sort this issue?
If so – should I put the clone (Using something like CCC) in a separate partition?

Have come across Recovery Agent – does it need to go in a separate partition?

Finally – for now (!!) if I have to create any new partitions on the external HDD will it erase existing files, meaning I have to restart TimeMachine?

As is evident - help is needed needed here please
Many thanks in anticipation

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Lion is the first OS that does not ship on a disk. If you have a slow internet connection you can order Lion on a flash drive from Apple for $69. That would be one way....

You mentioned CCC. However, it should be used to clone Lion on a separate external hard drive, not one that you share with Time Machine. CCC will create a bootable clone of your hard drive. It also includes an option to clone the Lion Recovery partition while it's cloning the OS X portion of the hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.