Locked or Unlocked

Reaction score
I am overseas and purchased an iPad2 3G from a Military Exchange. It has an AT&T SIM card, but it cannot be used in this country (no 3G); I bought it so I could use 3G in the US or other 3G countries. The question I have is this, after purchasing an international SIM card from OneSIM, I need to know whether my iPad2 3G is locked or unlocked, and I don't know how to tell.

Specs:
32 GB iPad2 3G
Version - 5.0.1 (9A405)
Carrier - Carrier 11.0
Model - MC774LL
SN - DLXGCMX4DFJ2
Modern Firmware - 04.11.08

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you asking if your iPad2 is now locked to the international SIM card or locked to AT&T? The new SIM card should allow you to use it wherever you're currently stationed. Later on, when you return to CONUS, replace it with the AT&T SIM card and you'll be able to use it on the AT&T 3G network. (After subscribing to a plan.)

C

chas_m

No, that's likely incorrect. AT&T carrier-locks all their iPads, so if it came from AT&T then it's carrier locked and the new SIM isn't going to work.

As far as I'm aware there is not presently any way to unlock a iOS 5.0.1 device.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you sure of that chas? You're saying it works the same way as the iPhone or another carrier specific cell phone? In other words, it's locked? The reason I'm questioning that is we have had folks who reportedly were able to use their iPad2 in other locations. (Europe) I don't believe the iPad2 is locked.

See this discussion in the Apple forums: LINK

Also see this LINK which talks about using the AT&T iPad2 in Canada.

C

chas_m

You're right, I could be wrong about this. Steve did say that all the iPads are unlocked but I assumed AT&T would re-lock any iPad that came from them. This could be incorrect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.