trouble with cwk documents

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook
I would love some help with transferring my cwk documents which disappeared when I upgraded to Lion. Didn't know this would happen.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Clarisworks was the forerunner of Appleworks, Apple purchased Claris in what, 1997 or so? As Appleworks does not run on Lion let alone Clarisworks, quite some research in front of you.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook
OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook
Clarisworks was the forerunner of Appleworks, Apple purchased Claris in what, 1997 or so? As Appleworks does not run on Lion let alone Clarisworks, quite some research in front of you.

Thank you for the help. I hope I can copy and paste to my Word program

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook
I have an old Mac that has the documents. I will go there and copy to a disc.
I don't think I would have upgraded to Lion if I'd known I would lose things. I lost other things also.
I do have back up, but it's a pain!!

C

chas_m

Clarisworks was the forerunner of Appleworks, Apple purchased Claris in what, 1997 or so?

Time for me to change costume and become ... da da DA! ... PEDANTIC MAN!!

Actually, harryb, the story is a bit more complex than that, but the short version is that Apple never bought Claris.

Claris was (as you probably do know) spun off from Apple in 1987. At the time, there was a product called AppleWorks, but eventually Claris produced its own version (from scratch, amazingly enough). It eventually reached version 5, which appeared very briefly under the ClarisWorks name before being re-branded.

In 1998, Claris divested itself of all the former Apple products except one, and ClarisWorks was given to Apple, which renamed it AppleWorks (5.0). Claris kept Filemaker and rebranded itself FileMaker Inc. and continues to be a very successful company.

So AppleWorks was the forerunner of ClarisWorks which was the forerunner of AppleWorks! :)

My work here is done, citizens. I must go -- somewhere on the internet, someone is WRONG and needs CORRECTION!

(flies off)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also chas... let's not forget during that time they actually produced a version for Windows. ;D

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook
Thank you all. W?ill my computer change the cwk to the proper format if I download from a copy CD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Either that or download this version and use on your old Mac, whatever it is:-

ClarisWorks for Mac - Download.com

You will still have the problem of running this old program on Lion which does not support PowerPC, or relier, programs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.