Want to upgrade iMac's RAM

Reaction score
I bought one of the new iMacs recently, but at the time I only got 4GB RAM in it. I'd like to up the RAM now to 8, and eventually 16GB. When I contacted Apple about it, they told me that 8GB of the RAM that my computer takes (1333MHz DDR3 memory) was going to run me $400. Now, I haven't ever messed with RAM upgrades, but that number seems a bit ridiculous. With about two minutes of looking online, I found a set of two 4GB sticks of that same exact RAM for $29.

Why do they charge so much for it? Is the RAM that Apple tries to sell you vastly superior to this other stuff in any way? Would there be any difference at all between shelling out for the $400 RAM and just going with cheaper memory online?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Make sure the spec is the same and do the upgrade yourself.

Never buy the extra RAM from Apple unless you have money to burn

Reaction score
I totally agree with louishen's comment. Apple really and truly are extortionate when it comes to pricing on RAM. :Angry-Tongue:

There are two main sites I would recommend for buying RAM, depending on your location.
If you're in the US, I would suggest Other World Computing (OWC) and if you're in the UK, I would suggest http://www.crucial.com.

I hope this info helps. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Is the RAM that Apple tries to sell you vastly superior to this other stuff in any way?

To be brutally honest, it's just Samsung, Nanya, or any other number of largely Chinese manufacturers RAM. As has been said before, OWC/Crucial etc. You can get 2 8gb sticks for less than Apple charges for 2 4gb sticks.(OWC)

Reaction score
I totally agree with louishen's comment. Apple really and truly are extortionate when it comes to pricing on RAM. :Angry-Tongue:

There are two main sites I would recommend for buying RAM, depending on your location.
If you're in the US, I would suggest Other World Computing (OWC) and if you're in the UK, I would suggest http://www.crucial.com.

I hope this info helps. :D
In Canada: CanandaRam folks in BC very helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27 I5-MBA 13-Ipad 2 Iphone 4 -ATV 2G
I just upgraded my 2011 iMac 2.7 I5 to 12gb for $87 + postage - 4+4 +2+2 sticks of ram
I agree with the other posters,apple ram is way to expensive,& i had it installed within 10 min,s

Reaction score
Just bought 8GB of Crucial RAM from Amazon for $39. Hopefully I will have it by the end of the week so I can do the upgrade. Hoping it's the right memory, but it matched the specs Crucial got after scanning my system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
If it's matching the Crucial scanner, it should be good. As long as the packaging was labelled correctly (it happens), of course.. Amazon's great about replacing things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.