Cube

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a first timer here. I used to have a family member who would solve all my Mac problems but he seems to have disappeared due to the overload.

I have a Mac Cube G4 on my desk which is to be used by a friend for running Office basically. It had System 9.2 on so I installed 10.3 which is the only version I have on CD.

It then occurred to me that I have an external DVD drive but the Cube resolutely refuses to allow me to start up from the external.

How do I overcome this or am I stuck with 10.3?? It would be nice to get it running with up to date stuff.

Thanks for any replies.

Gordon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Is the DVD connected via Firewire? If so, it should work starting up in 'Target Mode' (pressing T on startup).

If it's a USB DVD, it won't work - your best bet would be an external Firewire drive or HDD with the OS image on it.

OP
G
Reaction score
Is the DVD connected via Firewire? If so, it should work starting up in 'Target Mode' (pressing T on startup).

If it's a USB DVD, it won't work - your best bet would be an external Firewire drive or HDD with the OS image on it.

Thanks for the reply. Its a USB only drive by Iomega - quite old but works well.

I have a 1tB external but thats USB only too!! I have some old Firewire drives upstairs but they had become a bit unreliable. I'll dig one out and see if they will work. How does the disk image of the OS work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Thanks for the reply. Its a USB only drive by Iomega - quite old but works well.

I have a 1tB external but thats USB only too!! I have some old Firewire drives upstairs but they had become a bit unreliable. I'll dig one out and see if they will work. How does the disk image of the OS work?

Use disk utility to create an image of the DVD on the HDD from within OS X. I am not sure how advanced Panther's tools are, I can't remember that far back, but I think you can do it.

It goes without saying that the new OS X disc must be a retail version, not one that shipped with a Mac. Partly because of the EULA or mainly because it won't actually worth otherwise.

OP
G
Reaction score
Use disk utility to create an image of the DVD on the HDD from within OS X. I am not sure how advanced Panther's tools are, I can't remember that far back, but I think you can do it.

It goes without saying that the new OS X disc must be a retail version, not one that shipped with a Mac. Partly because of the EULA or mainly because it won't actually worth otherwise.

Sorry to be thick but.... how does this work. I have made a disk image on the Firewire drive. When I try and load it, it says restart as usual but then what? If I press T then I just get the Firewire sign with no access and if I don't press T, it just goes back to the usual Cube desktop.

Amateurs huh?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.