iBook G4

Reaction score
Hello All!

I am new to this website, I have owned and used mac for about 6 years now. I have an iBook G4 that I need some advice with. It will still go online and satisfies my basic needs but it will not play flash anymore. All of the common browsers have been updated past my laptop's capabilities. I am currently using Camino as my web browser and it is working very well but I cannot play videos. Does anyone else still use an old iBook? Also, I use an external hard drive on my mac mini and while that works very well, my iBook won't show the external when it is plugged in. I recently spent two days trying to get a disk out of the drive in my laptop as well. I do not have the funds to get a new laptop and would like to be able to use old faithful for as long as possible but is this a realistic plan?

Much appreciated!

--l

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Does anyone else still use an old iBook?

Yes. :)

I do not have the funds to get a new laptop and would like to be able to use old faithful for as long as possible but is this a realistic plan?

Probably not a great plan. You didn't tell use exactly what model G4 iBook you have...but considering that G4 iBooks were available between October, 2003 thru May, 2006...that would mean your iBook would be close to 6 years old...and maybe as old as 8.5 years old.

Your iBook isn't getting any younger...and the computer industry & internet isn't going to stop moving forward.

You may not be able to afford a brand new computer...but you could consider buying a newer (but used) model. I would suggest an older MacBook in the $350-$400 dollar range (e-Bay or Craig's List).

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.