Desperate for help with iPad Backup

Reaction score
First off, I'd like to say hello to everyone and apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong forum. I'm a total newbie so if I do anything wrong, please let me know.

Basically, I am pretty desperate for some assistance in recovering a backup of my iPad that was made via iTunes on my Windows laptop. Long story short, I am very ineperienced with backing up anything thru iTunes and foolishly didn't back away when I first started having problems. Instead, I dug my own grave and tried to figure it out in my own...making matters much worse.

What I did was...

I backed up my iPad on my laptop so I finally upgrade the OS. I have an iPad 1, 64 GB. It took forever, I was worried that I was running out of room, and when it was done and it was time to restore the iPad, the restore failed. And failed. And failed. This is when I should have walked away. Instead, I played with it. A lot. I think I even "accidentally" did yet another backup, but I'm hoping not before I dragged a copy of the backup file to a different drive.

Now I have the backup files on another drive, iTunes now shows NO iPad backups at all, other than yet another backup that I just made, and I need to know how to move the files from one drive back to my C drive and how to make iTunes recognize them.

I am truly begging for some help as I have irreplaceable work documents in those backup that may get me fired if I lose them...not to mention a wealth of personal photos and documents. I'm literally sick over this. I'd be more Han willing to PayPal some money to anyone who feels super confident they can help....and who'll have a little patience with me. ;-)

I'm a Mac newbie, but not a computer newb, so I'm not THAT bad, but this whole iTunes/iTunes has left in tears and now I'm feeling a bit paralyzed by it all.

OK. I'm going to take a deep breath now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
When you dock your iPad to your Win Laptop and it has iTunes opened under devices it has your iPad listed and when you click on it and under summary what is it showing for last backed up to this computer?

OP
L
Reaction score
Since I messed with it, it now shows nothing. For example, if I dock my iPad after a fresh restore, I go into iTunes, it recognizes the connected iPad, but an iPad backup was no longer listed, just an old iPod Touch backup. So, since I had copied the backup files over to my D drive, I thought I'd restore the iPad as new, and then create a backup just to have one. My thinking being that I could possibly transfer the contents of the backup folder on my D drive to the backup folder that iTunes actually does recognize on my C drive.

But I didn't do it. I stopped there because I realized all of my "let's try this" approaches weren't working and were causing more harm than good. Because originally, when I started messing around with the backup folders on my C drive, that's when iTunes suddenly stopped seeing them. They were physically there, in the right folder, but iTunes wasn't listing anything from the iPad as a restore option at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Have you tried restore on Windows to a date before you did the re-locate ?

OP
L
Reaction score
I did not think of that....awesome idea!

However, I did the original backup at 10:30 PM and the "accidental" second backup at about 1am....so I don't believe there would be a restore point I between those hours.

Is it possible to take files from one back up and put them into the folder of another backup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
If you copied your back up to a different drive, in iTunes go to 'file' then 'add to library'. Add the folder that has the backup to your library.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.