Number keys not working on MacBook Pro keyboard

Reaction score
Hello.
I currently run a MacBook Pro on OS X 10.6.8. I also run parallels 7 (7.0.15054) with Windows XP Professional.

I have an intermittent issue with my keyboard in that the number keys often stop working. I can get 0 but the others just don't work as either numbers or upper case symbols such as @, £ etc. Sometimes this happens when Parallels is operating, other times when just the Mac is running.
I have no idea whether this is a software or hardware issue

I have searched for help and tried the F6 key (numlock) which was one suggestion. I have also tried a Mac wireless keyboard which can't connect as the return key won't work on the wireless keyboard when the issue arises and I am therefore unable to complete the bluetooth connection.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem, but on different hardware, a Macbook Air 1,1

I've pretty much narrowed it down to a hardware issue, though. Full reinstall doesn't do it. Nor does running off a different boot disk. I've done so with multiple versions of the OS installer, and various flavors of linux.

sadly, I'm out of warranty.

Reaction score
I think I figured it out.

Depending if you are using Coherence or not.
not in coherence - go to the bottom right parallels windows and expand (if not already) the tool box... there is a logo for a key board....(first one) ...click on it and a window opens -- click number lock.

in coherence... goto the parallels logo on the bar upper right of your screen.. right click on it and goto devices and keyboard then num lock..

i hope that helps you -- it did me
George

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.