Mac mail - iphone folder sync

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was hoping you might be able to enlighten me...

Please bare in mind you are talking to an numpty.

I have an iphone and ipad and want to sync with mac mail. I have a POP thing - whatever one of those is...

Trouble is, when I synce me iphone, I only get my inbox mail. It does not sync my subfolders. Pic included.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Steve

IMG_0234.PNG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello steverusson, I think that's as good as it gets on POP3. Everything will come down the pipe unsegregated.

OP
S
Reaction score
Could I ask my web hoster to switch it to IMAP? Is that any better?

Thanks Pendlewitch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes this is correct.

Because IMAP leaves all of your messages on the central mail server, you can view these messages from any location with Internet access. This means the e-mail inbox you view from home will be the same one you see at work.

Since POP downloads new messages to your computer and removes them from the server, you will not be able to see those new messages on another computer when you check your inbox. Those messages exist only on the computer that downloaded them using POP.

However, if you use IMAP and create e-mail folders on the server, these folders are accessible from anywhere you read your e-mail using IMAP. If you use POP and create e-mail folders, they are stored locally, and you cannot access these folders from anywhere except the computer on which you created them.

Waheyyy

C

chas_m

Could I ask my web hoster to switch it to IMAP? Is that any better?

IMAP is waaay better for everyone who checks their mail on more than one device (that would be nearly all of us these days), but surprisingly very few ISPs offer IMAP. Wouldn't hurt to ask, but the easiest solution is to sign up for iCloud (free) or GMail (free but evil) or Yahoo (not sure if it's free, hopefully yes) or some other IMAP provider.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stevrusson, your use of the word 'numpty' gives you away as a Brit but what's disappointing is that you have not responded " any ideas' ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.