Kernel Panic Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
I have a 15" MacBook Pro early 2010 with a 320GB HD and 4GB of memory. It was acting up so I though I would do a re-install and see if that cleared it up. Well I put in the re-install cd and got the "you need to restart your computer" message. I tried booting from the cd, starting in safe mode, remote install, and everything else I could find on the internet and needless to say nothing worked. So I took the hard drive out, put it in an enclosure and tried to reformat it on my gf's pc. Well now when I put it back in it wont register the hard drive and it still gives me the "restart" screen. I am lost at this point and have no idea where to go from here. Please Help!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can't format a hard drive to be used in a Mac on a PC unless the PC has special software designed to do the formatting. That's probably the reason why the hard drive can not be "seen".

Also, you mentioned a reinstall CD. Unless the disk is the original that shipped with your MBP, it's not going to work. Your machine shipped with OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3. If you have the correct install DVD, boot from it, go to Disk Utility, format the hard drive correctly (Mac OS Extended Journaled, GUID partition scheme) and continue to install Snow Leopard.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
So if I plug the hard drive into another mac and format it will it work then? I do not have the original reinstall DVD. The one I am using is a friends. So I can't use it? Why? And is there a way to get it without have to pay some ridiculous amount of money? I have a warranty through best buy (worst decision ever) and they said that since it is a software problem it wasn't covered? Any possibility it could be the hard drive?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The retail version of Snow Leopard can be purchased from Apple on line for $29.99. You need that to do any kind of trouble shooting and to reinstall. Your friend's disk is not going to work. It is possible that your hard drive is defective or having problems. If you already have it in a USB SATA enclosure, you can check it with your friend's Mac by attaching it and running Disk Utility to do a verify and repair.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
Ill give that a try. And since I have reformatted it on a PC, will is still show up on my friends mac when i connect it? Thank you for your input and patience. I used to have two roommates who were electrical engineers, so I guess I got a little spoiled when it came to fixing these kind of things.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It will show up on your friend's Mac but in order to check the disk you're going to have to reformat it if it was formatted to NTFS. FAT-32 would be OK, but since you're eventually going to have to reformat the drive to a Mac format anyway, you might as well do it with your friend's Mac. Use Disk Utility to format it to Mac OS Extended Journaled, GUID partition scheme. It'll verify the drive as it's formatting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.