Tripod Upgrade Question

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I am trying to stretch my photography budget, but am looking at tripods. My basic question(s) are as follows:

I currently have a Velbon tripod very similar to the one in the link below.

Amazon.com: Velbon DF-60 Dual Function Light Weight Tripod: Electronics

The legs and construction appear to be reasonably substantial, so I am thinking of just replacing the head right now and following up with a new leg set later on.

The heads I have been looking at are below:

Amazon.com: Manfrotto 498RC2 Ball Head with Quick Release Replaces Manfrotto 488RC2: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Manfrotto 322RC2 Joystick Head Short: Camera & Photo

So, my questions are:

1) Good idea/bad idea to do what I am thinking of?

2) Better choice for head?

EDIT: I probably ought to list my normal kit that I would use with the above tripod

Nikon D5000
18-55 VR, 55-200 VR, 70-300 VR, 35 f1.8 and soon (probably late Aug) Tokina 11-16 f2.8
SB400

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
What type of photography do you do most?

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What type of photography do you do most?

With the tripod

1) The Moon and night landscapes
2) Landscapes
3) Flowers, bugs etc

Without the tripod I mostly do candid portraits and family&pet photos, plus whatever catches my eye while hiking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
In that case, I'd go with a 3 way pan and tilt head that you can lock out to hold your kit rock steady.

I'm not sure whether the tripod you've got now would facilitate changing the head, but even if it did I would go for something different as the leg brace on it means that you cannot get really close to ground level which you'd need to do for plant / insect close ups.

I'm in no way connected to Manfrotto but use their tripod (MT294A3) and head (804RC2) which I got in the UK for just under £100 last December.

I have a D90 which I use with a 18-105 lens or a Tamron 10-24, and once tightened down there is no movement. One down side is that it isn't the lightest to carry around.

Oh, and the man in the shop reckoned it'd last longer than me!!!

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I appreciate the reccomendation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I have a Velbon Ultra-Maxi F. It is extremely portable and versatile and can get really low down for stable macro shots. It packs down to 14 inches into a small shoulder bag. The head is a Velbon PHD-31Q if that helps any.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a Velbon Ultra-Maxi F. It is extremely portable and versatile and can get really low down for stable macro shots. It packs down to 14 inches into a small shoulder bag. The head is a Velbon PHD-31Q if that helps any.

Thanks . . . I'm curious now exactly what model Velbon I have; it has to be over 20 years old (don't remember when I got it). Its fairly substantial and mainly metal (and not particularly light to carry). :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks . . . I'm curious now exactly what model Velbon I have; it has to be over 20 years old (don't remember when I got it). Its fairly substantial and mainly metal (and not particularly light to carry). :p

Pic attached. This model extends to about 5 feet. You can hang a weight from it for more stability.

IMG_0234.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'm a big ball-head fan. My current tripod has a 3 way, and man.. I curse that thing. The problem is that a good ball-head ain't cheap.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm a big ball-head fan. My current tripod has a 3 way, and man.. I curse that thing. The problem is that a good ball-head ain't cheap.

Do you have a reccomendation . . .?

My big problem is I look at the pictures, descriptions and reviews on B&H and Amazon, but I really don't know what I should be looking for and how to judge between the models. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, the one I'm going to get is...

the BH-55

Really Right Stuff - Item Listing

It's very likely overkill. I've never, ever, heard a bad thing about RRS (other than their prices)

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, the one I'm going to get is...

the BH-55

Really Right Stuff - Item Listing

It's very likely overkill. I've never, ever, heard a bad thing about RRS (other than their prices)

Owww!

You are right about pricey . . . I'm afraid my Velbon legs would die of embarrassment if I mounted that ball head on them. ;)

Seriously though, would I be crazy to go for a ball head like that and use it on my tripod legs until I could afford something better?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can, but legs are more important IMO (which is how I ended up with a head I don't prefer).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Those RRS heads are great, and would highly recommend them if budget allows one day. Problem with most of the Manfroto heads (speaking from current experience) is that even after locking the ball, there's a bit of drift, so you always have to judge just how much you think it will drift, and set it a bit higher than that. It can become a hindrance and pita for sure, but not an immediate deal breaker when on a budget.

But I agree that the legs are also highly important. I recently had legs cr@p out on me, and had to get something rather cheap but good for my Cali trip. Went to B&H to test some out and wound up getting a great pair of legs super cheap: giottos mt-9251

Of course stupid me... first time I went to use them was on the beach at high tide... salt sand and H2O really don't mix well with tripod legs! But after easily disasembling the legs and cleaning them off, they're great! Highly recommend this one.

The Manfroto Head will do just fine as well, until you can afford better. A friend of mine has the Joystick head, and said he likes it a lot. I have a ballhead, and it does experience that "drift", so I'm also saving up for a better one. It's just too bad that I'm also saving up for a new phone, iPad, iMac, Camera, diamond earings etc.. etc.. :eek:

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With the tripod

1) The Moon and night landscapes
2) Landscapes
3) Flowers, bugs etc

Without the tripod I mostly do candid portraits and family&pet photos, plus whatever catches my eye while hiking.

Razormac,

I revisited your OP and the word 'hiking' caught my eye (pun..sorry). Mine weighs 2 1/4 lbs.
and the pack size and weight were considerable factors when I chose it.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Razormac,

I revisited your OP and the word 'hiking' caught my eye (pun..sorry).
????
Must be a Briticism . . . I'm fond of puns too (to the dismay of many here) but this one went over my head. :Confused::p :)

But I agree that the legs are also highly important. I recently had legs cr@p out on me, and had to get something rather cheap but good for my Cali trip. Went to B&H to test some out and wound up getting a great pair of legs super cheap: giottos mt-9251

Thanks for the reccomend on the legs!
I like that price a LOT better than some of the ones I have been looking at.

It's just too bad that I'm also saving up for . . . diamond earings etc.. etc.. :eek:

Doug

Somehow you never struck me as a diamond earing kind of guy. I could see you with some gold studs maybe, but diamonds . . . never! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
????
Must be a Briticism . . . I'm fond of puns too (to the dismay of many here) but this one went over my head. :Confused::p :)

Well it was a pun of sorts, it was this... "whatever catches my eye while hiking" that lead me to say " 'hiking' caught my eye ". Not very funny then:Oops:

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
????

Well it was a pun of sorts, it was this... "whatever catches my eye while hiking" that lead me to say " 'hiking' caught my eye ". Not very funny then:Oops:

Aaahh! I get it now. :)

DST (daylight savings time) and getting up an hour earlier than usual means I'm a bit slow on the uptake. Off to get more coffee. . . . .. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.