Current MBP vs late 2008 MBP

Reaction score
I've upgraded my 2008 MBP to 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD.

It has the Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz, i use it for general office applications via VMWARE fusion to run windows version of Microsoft Office and a bit of hobby photography editing in Photoshop CS5. (RAW files) and of course web browsing, etc.

In reality with my current needs if i had the current gen with the i5 or i7 would i actually see much of a performance gain?

Reaction score
Since it seem you use the Windows side more then the Mac side why not just go out and buy a Windows PC notebook.

You will get a much better PC for the same money as they use the same exact parts. and then you won't have to run Windows in a VM.

OP
N
Reaction score
Maybe my punctuation made it unclear, I use the Mac side for photoshop and windows just for MS office.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Sorry my punctuation made it unclear, I use the Mac side for photoshop and windows just for MS office.

No you won't really. The biggest experiential gains are realized by having more RAM and an SSD. Unless you're doing some seriously complex retouches or HD video editing, you won't notice the difference.

OP
N
Reaction score
No you won't really. The biggest experiential gains are realized by having more RAM and an SSD. Unless you're doing some seriously complex retouches or HD video editing, you won't notice the difference.

Thanks, this was my gut feeling.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.