Buy new ipad or refurbished ipad 2?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been waiting to get an ipad for a while (mostly for reviewing lectures from Grad school and maybe some music videos, news, magazine, web browsing on the side). However, I'm still deciding to get the new ipad or a refurbished ipad 2. I don't really care about the screen resolution that much (my vision isn't that great, anyways) and I really like the fact that the ipad 2 is lighter and thinner than the ipad 3. I could get a refurbished ipad 2 32GB for $450 from the apple store or a new ipad 32GB for $600. I just don't know if the ipad 3 will be worth it for my tasks. What do you guys think?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If the new features in the "new iPad" don't excite you...then definitely get a refurbished iPad 2. I'm considering doing the same thing.

- Nick

Reaction score
I have an unopened refurb iPad2 in my hands but I'm still debating returning it for a new iPad.

For $150 more I'm not sure if the screen is worth it, all other new features don't matter to me.

Regarding the new screen, will my current movies and videos look that much better? is it like regular definition compared to high definition?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
I went ahead and bought a refurb iPad 2. I really, really, really wanted the Retina display. I'm in college and money isn't abounding everywhere and it seemed like a better idea to get the cheaper one. The iPad 2 is still one of the best tablets in the market and you should feel no shame for buying it because of price point.

Reaction score
Yeah, the ipad2 is a good deal right now.

I would really like to see the new screen beside the old screen to see the difference but have to return the one I have before the new one ships to get a refund.

I don't know much about it, can you or anyone tell me if every video will look that much better on the new ipad? I thought you would need better quality videos to make it look better??

C

chas_m

Yeah, the ipad2 is a good deal right now.

I would really like to see the new screen beside the old screen to see the difference but have to return the one I have before the new one ships to get a refund.

I don't know much about it, can you or anyone tell me if every video will look that much better on the new ipad? I thought you would need better quality videos to make it look better??

Hardly anyone can tell you about the iPad's new display because hardly anyone outside of Apple have actually seen it. Those that have say it's pretty amazing, and that there's more than just "double the resolution" going on there.

I would think that if you have a video at 1024x768 they would look more or less the same in terms of resolution, though the new iPad's screen will probably still make those colours look better/sharper.

But if you have let's say a 1080p file (1920x1080), it's obviously going to look a LOT better on the new iPad than the 2011 iPad, since it won't be being downscaled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I still have a 1st gen iPad, so I am going to make the upgrade - mainly because the performance is suffering. My wife has an iPad 2, which is still very fast and a little lighter - if I had that, I wouldn't upgrade.

OP
O
Reaction score
Apparently, this new ipad weighs closer to the ipad 1 than the ipad 2. Will there be a perceptible difference in weight between the new ipad and the ipad 2?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Apparently, this new ipad weighs closer to the ipad 1 than the ipad 2. Will there be a perceptible difference in weight between the new ipad and the ipad 2?

From what I've read, yes apparently. However, if you have or had an iPad 1 and had no issue with its weight, it shouldn't be an issue.

C

chas_m

iPad 1 – 712.60g
iPad 2 – 600.60g
iPad 3 – 650g (660g for the 4G model)

So, as any search engine could have told you, the new iPad is approximately halfway between the weight of the original and the second-generation iPad.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I had the iPad 1 and upgraded to the iPad 2 in large part because it was lighter and thinner. Yes, it isn't that much weight, but I use my iPad constantly, so to me it was worth the change.

Going to the iPad 3 (or new iPad) is a harder call to make. Adding back a little of the weight to gain better resoloution, honestly, I am very tempted, but the iPad 2 is no slouch with its screen. Haven't made up my mind yet . . . I may wait for the next cycle.

Reaction score
Returned the refurbished 2 and went with a new iPad, now I have regrets. Screen is nice but not worth it the extra $. HD is nice but on a big screen tv.

Size of apps and hd videos will be too big for this device, you will need more storage which is why they will have this on the next iPad, nice selling strategy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , iPad , MBP, iPod
I bought the new iPad yesterday, as an older person any thing I can see clearer all the better. The
writing in books and such is so much clearer. I have come from the original iPad. The screen is wonderful,
and the extra ram is needed. I hope this iPad will serve me as well as the first one did. My young grandson
will get that one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hope this iPad will serve me as well as the first one did. My young grandson will get that one.

Somebodies a VERY lucky "camper"...and has a GREAT granddad!!!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Grand ma.;D

Ha ha...sorry about that. I'm not sure how I read/thought "Granddad" from your earlier post.

So to rephrase..."Somebodies a VERY lucky "camper"...and has a GREAT grandma!!!:):)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac , iPad , MBP, iPod
Ha ha...sorry about that. I'm not sure how I read/thought "Granddad" from your earlier post.

So to rephrase..."Somebodies a VERY lucky "camper"...and has a GREAT grandma!!!:):)

- Nick

Thank you Nick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
I got a refurb iPad 2 at best buy for $359. Apparently someone purchased it 3/2 and returned it. Still pretty much wrapped up. I purchased it 3/9. I'm so happy with it!

Reaction score
my answer to thread question

I have both the iPad2 and iPad3. The display is slightly better, 20%. Unless you need the 4G capability (my issue) or the new camera, the iPad2 is a superb choice. If you don't need either one, save yourself money and get the iPad2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
One thing - it isn't just 4G - if you get the Verizon iPad - you can use it as a hotspot and just pay for data. AT&T of course isn't enabled yet.
The new iPad | Verizon iPad | Verizon Wireless
iPad hotspot feature will be available on Verizon, not AT&T | Macworld
That hotspot feature is unique in that you don't have to pay extra to use it as a hotspot and it pulls from the same data. The iPhone hotspot costs $20/month and is off of a different data - i.e. I bought my iPhone when they offered unlimited data - but if I add a hotspot feature then I have some limit on my data - 2GB for the tether part. Plus there is no contract so you can turn it on and off monthly.

Personally I wanted the higher res display for when I remote into different machines with VNC or RDP. I noticed that I don't have to zoom to work. I do have to hook an external keyboard as the on screen keyboard takes way too much screen real estate. Also - web pages are readable in either portrait or landscape - whereas with the iPad 2 - I was doing most of my browsing in landscape. iBooks look amazing and the Kindle App does look better but not as good as iBooks. (Looks fall under IMHO YMMV)

The back does get hotter than the other generation iPads but not uncomfortable for me.

The Camera is a bonus for me but not something I really wanted. Good in a pinch but taking a picture with a tablet looks rather ridiculous.

The iPad 2 is a fine device and works great as a tablet. I updated so I could get family(grandparents) an easy to use facetime device - and I wanted the higher resolution screen. If it weren't for the grandparents I really would have a hard time convincing myself to upgrade to "the new iPad"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.