REset the PRAM

Reaction score
Hi agian,

Still working on the same problem. I want to know about resetting the PRAM on a mac book air, What are the possible concisenesses of doing this?

Basically, we had a former employee who used the mac, set up a password and left. He took the Install cd, and the external CD Rom.

We want to use the amcbook again, but there are updates that need to be installed. And i need to reset this password, or crack it.

We live in a very remote area, so getting a CD from a store is not possible. The MAcbook has Boot camp installed, and i am unable to boot into single user mode at this time.

IF I reset the PRAM, will it solve this? i beleive that resetting the PRAM will also set the the default boot drive to the OS X drive.

Can i please have some input on this?

Or at least a way to reset the password, besides using the install CD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Pram has nothing to do with the password

OP
S
Reaction score
Will i be able to remote boot it with Boot camp installed?

and i know resetting the pram has nothing to do with the password, but it will allow to to boot into single user mode, which i can then reset the root password.

OP
S
Reaction score
We can alwasy order it, but it seems bad that we have to pay for a new cd to reset a password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
We can alwasy order it, but it seems bad that we have to pay for a new cd to reset a password.

Well it's an unusual situation really, you should have the original DVD and you should know the password.

I think your complaint should really be aimed at your former employee

OP
S
Reaction score
Well it's an unusual situation really, you should have the original DVD and you should know the password.

I think your complaint should really be aimed at your former employee

thats true. We are in a bad spot. I Don't have a major problem getting the CD. But i am just worried that it will not work, since boot camp is installed, from what i understand i am not able to remote boot. Since it is a macbook air, and we dont have the external DVD, we don't have alot of options.

Can someone tell me if that will work? I know i seen the remote boot option in utilitties, but i dont know how it will work.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Since it is a macbook air, and we dont have the external DVD, we don't have alot of options.

If you don't have the external optical drive for the MacBook Air...what were you going to use to boot from the OS DVD?

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Problem solved

Thanks everyone for the help, in the end i was able to solve my problem with other means.

The over all issue i was having was a missing password.

Once i was able to get back into single user mode, i was able to reset the lost password and remove the account.

Thanks everyone for the advise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.