transfer aperture & itunes files (& apps?) to EHD, & access from imac...and

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini-16Gmem,AcesryKit,Gigbit Ethrnt,256G SSDstorg,Apl M1chip w/8‑coreCPU,8‑coreGPU,16coreNurlEngn
hi guys 'n gals! PC user for 30 years. friend said, "enough already! you're a mac person!!" and brought this imac to my door! LOVE IT! and... the questions!!!

2 questions:
since i have a small internal HD, i'd like to put as much data on the 1.5 TB EHD as possible. so, can you direct me to the step-by-step directions for transferring pix, music, etc files (and apps?) to EHD, BUT still access/use aperture and itunes from the imac?

what's the best reference guide - online preferred or hard copy - for further questions/answers relative to this kind of basic technical how-to stuff? is this the place? is there an online "user guide/manual"?

1st time mac user, so PLEASE, when you use abbreviations, BTM (bracket their meaning) and try not to use techie language...yet.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
hi guys 'n gals! PC user for 30 years. friend said, "enough already! you're a mac person!!" and brought this imac to my door! LOVE IT! and... the questions!!!

2 questions:
since i have a small internal HD, i'd like to put as much data on the 1.5 TB EHD as possible. so, can you direct me to the step-by-step directions for transferring pix, music, etc files (and apps?) to EHD, BUT still access/use aperture and itunes from the imac?

what's the best reference guide - online preferred or hard copy - for further questions/answers relative to this kind of basic technical how-to stuff? is this the place? is there an online "user guide/manual"?

1st time mac user, so PLEASE, when you use abbreviations, BTM (bracket their meaning) and try not to use techie language...yet.

1) I like the Missing Manual Series (available at Amazon) for general reference. Though, if you start with reading all of the Sticky Threads in each Forum (and SubForum) you will get a good overview.

2) Aperture is easy for files on External HD. Just create a new Library and move it (drag and drop works) to where you want it. Double-click on it in Finder the first time to open it and Aperture will remember where it is.

Welcome to the Forums BTW and this is indeed the place to get answers and help. :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini-16Gmem,AcesryKit,Gigbit Ethrnt,256G SSDstorg,Apl M1chip w/8‑coreCPU,8‑coreGPU,16coreNurlEngn
thanks, razormac!

OK, here's how newbie i am:

Sticky Threads?

how do i "create a new library"?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
thanks, razormac!

OK, here's how newbie i am:

Sticky Threads?

how do i "create a new library"?
The top four posts in this Forum (Link Below) are "Sticky" which means they don't shift down with the addition of new posts
Switcher Hangout - Mac-Forums.com

Not at my Mac, but you can select a project in Aperture and from the File Menu (I think that is the header) you can select "Export as Aperture Library". There are other ways. That is just one example.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello again searchless1, good to see you are getting some sound advice from Razormac..he is a gem.

I don't want to cut across anything but being as you are a newbie and we spoke in the other thread do you have any back up arrangements sorted out?

You might want to use that your EHD for Time Machine back up for now or invest in one to suit your 'small';) internal HD.

There is a sticky for that as well at the top of this forum!

C

chas_m

Storing large media libraries on (backed up) external hard drives = good idea
Storing apps on external hard drives = bad idea

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hey, y'all!! thanks so much for your responses! just stopped by to say i'm on the run and will read/do/respond as soon as i slow down. xoxoxo

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it boggles my mind that 10 yrs have passed. Being 72 is my excuse for the speedy passing of time. I don't think i ever did the copy-aperture-to-HD thing. Life got in the way....

I hope you are all still here!

So, now this is my challenge:

new seagate desktop drive won't accept files from another Sea.. EHD

attempted to transfer files from 2T seagate to new 8T seagate - tried folders & single files.
get a "no way" circle.
Using mac os high sierra 10.13.6 (can't go higher in this sweet old mac)
Is this the problem? In the "info", it says i can "only read" but i am listed as "read and write".
724ec5a3-2da8-4ddd-9068-d64010b558e0

link for new drive:
https://www.seagate.com/support/external-hard-drives/seagate-desktop-drive/

they come preformatted, "Newer Seagate ... external drives come preformatted with the exFAT file system, which allows it to be used on both Mac and Windows without reformatting the drive. "
https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/how-to-format-your-hard-drive-220151en/

fine print on data sheet:
1 Reformatting for Mac may be required.
2 Compatibility may vary depending on user’s hardware configuration and operating system.
https://www.seagate.com/www-content/datasheets/pdfs/desktop-drive-3-5-DS1986-2-1807US-en_US.pdf

can't think of anything else to help you guys n gals.

new seagate desktop drive won't accept files from another Sea.. EHD

attempted to transfer files from 2T seagate to new 8T seagate - tried folders & single files.
get a "no way" circle.
iMac late 2011 version.
Using mac os high sierra 10.13.6 (can't go higher in this sweet old mac)
Is this the problem? In the "info", it says i can "only read" but i am listed as "read and write".
724ec5a3-2da8-4ddd-9068-d64010b558e0

link for new drive:
https://www.seagate.com/support/external-hard-drives/seagate-desktop-drive/

they come preformatted, "Newer Seagate ... external drives come preformatted with the exFAT file system, which allows it to be used on both Mac and Windows without reformatting the drive. "
https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/how-to-format-your-hard-drive-220151en/

fine print on data sheet:
1 Reformatting for Mac may be required.
2 Compatibility may vary depending on user’s hardware configuration and operating system.
https://www.seagate.com/www-content/datasheets/pdfs/desktop-drive-3-5-DS1986-2-1807US-en_US.pdf

can't think of anything else to help you guys n gals.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is the disabled owner part of the problem?

fcec0df7-a6cc-427a-bf45-d5ab1114f35c

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.