Start Up Programs

Reaction score
I read up on how to stop some programs from running at startup, but some were not on the list to be able to stop. MS Word, Outlook, iTunes, iCalendar, Mail...yeah...I think that's it...they all start when I power on my MBP. How to I stop this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
If you mean that you unchecked them in system preferences -> Accounts -> Login Items, then that would be the first place. If your Operating System is Lion, then it's possible that you didn't 'quit' the program before shutting down. Make sure you quit programs before you shutdown you mac. I think also In system preverences there is an option to turn the 'opening of last used programs' off. You can also check the preferences for the individual programs to make sure of thier settings. I'm not aware of these things with Snow Leopard or previous mac OSes but I know MS and some other programs (on windows machines) is/was notorious for having 3 or 4 places where these options needed to be unchecked.
I read up on how to stop some programs from running at startup, but some were not on the list to be able to stop. MS Word, Outlook, iTunes, iCalendar, Mail...yeah...I think that's it...they all start when I power on my MBP. How to I stop this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
C'mon chas... you know very well there are times when it's appropriate and even wise to shut down your Mac.

C

chas_m

I shut mine down once a year whether it needs it or not! :)

(I am of course just kidding here, but I do literally go many weeks without shutting down because I use this machine way too much!)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.