ePub

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm currently investigating the use of iPads for my business, and one feature we would like to use them for is interactive equipment manuals. iBook Author looks perfect for creating these, however they will contain highly sensitive information, so I can't publish them to the iTunes store which I think rules out iBook Author?

Does anyone know of any alternatives to iBook Author that would allow me to quickly and easily create interactive textbooks/manuals on a desktop, and then sync it to an ipad. I would prefer if they could be created in a windows environment, however if necessary I'm sure we could pick up some mac minis too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Just found on the FAQ that it can be distributed without using the iTunes Store - great! Would also still be interested in hearing about any windows equivalents to iBook Author?

C

chas_m

iBook Author looks perfect for creating these, however they will contain highly sensitive information, so I can't publish them to the iTunes store which I think rules out iBook Author?

It's iBooks Author and no, that doesn't rule out the program (EDIT: as you've discovered).

Does anyone know of any alternatives to iBook Author that would allow me to quickly and easily create interactive textbooks/manuals on a desktop, and then sync it to an ipad.

Adobe InDesign (augmented with some interactivity and ePub plug-ins) is the closest thing I can think of. That should set you back a couple grand easily, but you can run it on Mac or Windows as you choose.

That's the thing about iBooks Author that makes it revolutionary: there ISN'T anything that good at that price level that does what it does.

The good news is that if you wait a couple of years, every publishing concern in the e-market will have cobbled up their own "iBooks Author-like" program that will be easier and cheaper than what's around now. One of the things I love about Apple is that they push not just themselves, but EVERYBODY forward.

OP
B
Reaction score
It's iBooks Author and no, that doesn't rule out the program (EDIT: as you've discovered).

Adobe InDesign (augmented with some interactivity and ePub plug-ins) is the closest thing I can think of. That should set you back a couple grand easily, but you can run it on Mac or Windows as you choose.

That's the thing about iBooks Author that makes it revolutionary: there ISN'T anything that good at that price level that does what it does.

The good news is that if you wait a couple of years, every publishing concern in the e-market will have cobbled up their own "iBooks Author-like" program that will be easier and cheaper than what's around now. One of the things I love about Apple is that they push not just themselves, but EVERYBODY forward.

Thanks Chas - I had considered InDesign as it is used elsewhere in the organisation and I have used it extensively in the past for print publishing - but this will eventually be used by engineers who I don't think would have the time (or patience) to learn InDesign - it could always be a backup I guess. Cheers!

C

chas_m

Never let engineers make their own books. They think everyone thinks like they do. :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Never let engineers make their own books. They think everyone thinks like they do. :)

Is there any other way to think? ;)

OP
B
Reaction score
Is there any other way to think? ;)

:)

Looks like InDesign isn't going to be an option - been reading up on it a bit more, and seems like it requires a subscription to Adobe's Digital Publishing Suite which would be around $5k a year and would require the files to be stored on Adobe's Server which is a no go. It's a shame as it looks great and even had a feature to 'sideload' files directly to an iPad however they have removed that feature...shame!

C

chas_m

While I think iBooks Author is pretty awesome, my advice is to wait before committing to anything. Apple's new program has sparked a revolution -- hang around a few months and you'll see what I mean, the others need time to catch up.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intelligently. :p

I thought about a snarky come back . . . but in the interests of International and Inter-occupational amity, I will refrain.

Whether that is an "Intelligent" thought, I will leave to you . . . ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I thought about a snarky come back . . . but in the interests of International and Inter-occupational amity, I will refrain.
Haha, playing the diplomatic card? Well played.

Obviously I have no reservations about stirring the "occupational pot." Haha. :p

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha, playing the diplomatic card? Well played.

Obviously I have no reservations about stirring the "occupational pot." Haha. :p

Stir away . . . I shall observe with interest the resulting hostile return fire, if any. :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There won't be any - people know that educators are those who, aside from possessing candor and great intelligence, have chosen the noblest profession. We are however not a humble group. Haha. :p

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There won't be any - people know that educators are those who, aside from possessing candor and great intelligence, have chosen the noblest profession. We are however not a humble group. Haha. :p

Personally, I believe all that gravy and cottage cheese on your french fries has clouded your mind . . .

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Personally, I believe all that gravy and cottage cheese on your french fries has clouded your mind . . .
It's not cottage cheese my good man. That's just preposterous! :p

It's not clouding the mind but it is clogging the arteries. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.