• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Possible that this is just a Precursor to Actual iPad 3?

Reaction score
After watching the launch for the new iPad, I can't help but wonder if this new iPad is just a primer for a Christmas release of an actual iPad 3. I mean, come on, a better screen, and marginally better camera, connectivity, an processor? That's it? Plus, it's not even a new design--it looks exactly like the iPad 2. It just reminds me a lot of the iPhone 3GS.

What do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I think... (oh I'll just retract it). Seriously… what more did you really want or expect? You people drive me nuts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
After watching the launch for the new iPad, I can't help but wonder if this new iPad is just a primer for a Christmas release of an actual iPad 3. I mean, come on, a better screen, and marginally better camera, connectivity, an processor? That's it? Plus, it's not even a new design--it looks exactly like the iPad 2. It just reminds me a lot of the iPhone 3GS.

What do you think?

LMaO! What did you expect it to look like?! A spaceshuttle? And no, this is a precursor to the NEXT iPad, whatever that may be. And, you do realize that December is almost a year away, right? So. What were you hoping for? Just out of curiosity. Let me guess... USB and HDMI port? A WORSE screen... worse processor? lol Tell us exactly, how Apple's business sense is worse than yours. Go head, tickle me a bit.

And while you're writing your list, keep in mind what the iPad's competition really is. That goes for software, and not just hardware... very important point. So please, don't forget to address that. Word.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I think you are an idiot. Seriously… what more did you really want or expect? You people drive me nuts.

Chill. It's his/her first post. If it smells like bridge water....

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.

Look, I'm not an expert. I'm just a regular consumer making an observation. I expected some demonstrations of new software, mostly--a showing of some new capabilities, sort of like they do with every product they put out. I expected more, simply put, because I'm a fan of Apple products--I'm using an iPad 2 right now.

And, no, I didn't expect it to look like a space shuttle, just different, like all significant upgrades to Apple products.

Plus, I never said Apple's business sense was worse than mine. If my suspicions are correct and another iPad does come out before Christmas, it would be a brilliant move and likely make Apple a ton of money,

Sorry if I'm being too trollish for you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Seriously… what more did you really want or expect? You people drive me nuts.

Agreed and an iPhone 3GS blew the 3G out of the water. The 3GS will still run the Latest IOS. It will not run at all on a 3G! :D

Welcome to Mac Forums btw.

Reaction score
And, no, I didn't expect it to look like a space shuttle, just different, like all significant upgrades to Apple products.

That's not exactly true though. I mean I don't follow all Apple products, only the ones I've used. I've been an Apple customer for 5 years, and aside from the iPod Nano, most product updates in the past 4 years or so have almost always been relatively minor

The iPod Touch has not significantly changed since it's been released. It just got a little thinner and shinier (better processor/ram too of course)

The same could be said of the iPhone. It hasn't changed THAT much. It got more powerful, received a few interesting gadgets, got sleeker. But that's pretty much it

The iMacs and MacBooks have followed the same pattern too, I believe.

And for all of these products, it's been mostly only yearly updates. So I'm having a hard time understanding how people can come up with predictions that involve more than one product refresh in a year.

As for this new iPad announced today, it didn't blow my mind but I own a first generation iPad. It will be a significant upgrade for me so I'll be happy to preorder my New iPad

As a customer, I am fairly happy upgrading every other generation and not every year

OP
D
Reaction score
That's not exactly true though. I mean I don't follow all Apple products, only the ones I've used. I've been an Apple customer for 5 years, and aside from the iPod Nano, most product updates in the past 4 years or so have almost always been relatively minor

The iPod Touch has not significantly changed since it's been released. It just got a little thinner and shinier (better processor/ram too of course)

The same could be said of the iPhone. It hasn't changed THAT much. It got more powerful, received a few interesting gadgets, got sleeker. But that's pretty much it

The iMacs and MacBooks have followed the same pattern too, I believe.

And for all of these products, it's been mostly only yearly updates. So I'm having a hard time understanding how people can come up with predictions that involve more than one product refresh in a year.

As for this new iPad announced today, it didn't blow my mind but I own a first generation iPad. It will be a significant upgrade for me so I'll be happy to preorder my New iPad

As a customer, I am fairly happy upgrading every other generation and not every year

Maybe you're correct, and thanks for actually sharing your thoughts. I guess there really isn't much more they can do with the iPad design. They can't make it much thinner, and I do like the curved edges--I think making them more angled like the iPhone 4 would be a mistake. Still, I think them not actually calling it iPad 3 is weird. I've heard some say they want to get away from this numbered naming system, but that doesn't make sense to me--it seems to be working just fine for them so far.

The new screen is a draw for me, I admit. I use my iPad 2 to read a lot of comics, so I'm thinking the new screen is really going to make them pop. I'm just trying to decide whether or not it's worth the price, and if I did pay for a new one and a new iPad came out before Christmas (which I'm thinking is less likely, now), I'd be pretty angry with myself.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Drezin:

This thread was moved here to Schweb's Lounge as it is not a rumor or report. Rumors and reports require a source and a link. Please read the Sticky at the top of the rumors and reports section. Rather than deleting the entire thread it was moved here to the off topic forum.

C

chas_m

Still, I think them not actually calling it iPad 3 is weird. I've heard some say they want to get away from this numbered naming system, but that doesn't make sense to me--it seems to be working just fine for them so far.

It works great up to a point, and then it sounds stupid. Should I get the iPad 16, or wait for the iPad 17? See what I mean?

I too was thrown by the change in naming, but I'm starting to figure it out. Ever driven a Thunderbird? The name on the side of the car says "Thunderbird." It doesn't say what year it is, that's something the customers added to differentiate your 64 Thunderbird from my 69 Thunderbird.

I suspect this is what Apple is aiming for there.

As for the rest, let me quote you:
I mean, come on, a better screen, and marginally better camera, connectivity, an processor? That's it?

"That's it?" This is what drew such a visceral reaction -- you are glossing over levels of engineering that make the moon shot look like a kid's high school science project there.

To borrow the overworked car analogy again, do you think Ford could (or ever would) completely redesign their top-selling car every year or two from top to bottom, and by the way while they're at it can they double the performance of the engine every year, give me twice as much glass space in the body, and double the mileage while they are at it?

THAT is what the new iPad brings to the table over the iPad 2 and more. Have you LOOKED at the iPhone 4S camera galleries compared to the iPhone 4? That's a SERIOUS jump in quality. The new screen (in addition to other improvements) is FOUR TIMES as many pixels to push around, and yet Apple found a way to make the processor do all that AND still be faster AND still get the same battery life as when it had to do 1/4th as much work? And I haven't even gotten to the problem of LTE radios and their power drain versus 3G radios ...

Let's just say that if every company could improve their products as much as Apple does, we would be living in a fantastic world that George Jetson would drool with envy over.

I'm just trying to decide whether or not it's worth the price, and if I did pay for a new one and a new iPad came out before Christmas (which I'm thinking is less likely, now), I'd be pretty angry with myself.

There's absolutely no chance of a new iPad before another 11 months (at least) have passed, for three reasons:

1. As we just saw, the fact that the iPad 2 was nine months old at the time didn't stop them selling more than 5M of them PER WEEK during the holiday season? Why? Because it was still better than EVERYTHING ELSE OUT THERE.

2. That level of innovation is simply not being done anywhere else, period. All the other companies do is wait for Apple, then copy it as fast as they can. Some can copy faster than others, but basically this is what's going on, which is why they can't get any traction.

3. iOS 6.

OP
D
Reaction score
Sorry for the posting in a wrong forum, chscag.

That makes a lot of sense, Chas. I guess my OP was I'll-informed and I'll-made. Still, I think the numbering system of naming would work fine until the passed the number 9, but that's just me. I like it's simplicity--it fits in with the Apple oeuvre. Still, they have to name it something other than "The New iPad," right? I mean, that's just lazy.

A question about this newest iPad: do you think programs/apps are going to be released for it that won't be able to function on the iPad 2, like some apps for the iPad 2 don't work on the original iPad?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
A question about this newest iPad: do you think programs/apps are going to be released for it that won't be able to function on the iPad 2, like some apps for the iPad 2 don't work on the original iPad?

Possibly, probably, almost certainly . . . but will be driven by the hardware spec difference. I think the first APPs we will see of this type will be ones using the upgraded camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It works great up to a point, and then it sounds stupid. Should I get the iPad 16, or wait for the iPad 17? See what I mean?

I too was thrown by the change in naming, but I'm starting to figure it out. Ever driven a Thunderbird? The name on the side of the car says "Thunderbird." It doesn't say what year it is, that's something the customers added to differentiate your 64 Thunderbird from my 69 Thunderbird.

I suspect this is what Apple is aiming for there.

Bingo! Exactly what I was about to point out. Also, Apple always called the iPod the iPod for many many years, and differentiated only by the variation in size/features, i.e. mini, nano, touch, etc. Yes, that's right. The iPod touch has never been named anything but. There is no iPod touch 3 or 4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
If Apple ever releases an iPad in March/April and then a newer one before X-Mas of the same year, I'll eat my hat. (unless of course the newer one is basically the same one but with data capabilities or whatever for a new carrier like they did with the iPhone 4 for VZW)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm actually one that also believes that name and numbering to distinguish models is pretty stupid. Just call it the iPhone, iPad, and etc. Leave it to the people to know what the newest ten is...they shouldn't be that stupid to not be able to distinguish them.

What seems to work well is to call it a single name, and reference to that specific model by its generation. Example: iPod Touch generation 4, and many other iPods.

As for the iPad not being worthy of this upgrade, I think it's a lot of crap. iOS runs great on the current iPad2. I can't imagine how well the GUI runs with all this new power. With exception to the obvious things that will only by found on Android(USB, SD slot, and etc), the new iPad has everything that has been rumored based on what could feasible happen. Better screen, better processing power, better battery, and better camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" i5 MBP (Late 2011)
I don't understand why people are disappointed with the new iPad? They made it better in every way.

In laymen terms, the iPad is a giant handheld touchscreen, and the new one is even better at being a giant handheld touchscreen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
In laymen terms, the iPad is a giant handheld touchscreen

That's assuming the normal definition of a touchscreen is "small," as apposed to giant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" i5 MBP (Late 2011)
That's assuming the normal definition of a touchscreen is "small," as apposed to giant.

Could be, but I was not defining a touchscreen. I was defining the iPad, and obviously in my own words/opinion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.