Using Time Capsule with DSL Router

Reaction score
I just switched from a Comcast cable to a CenturyLink DSL router. I was told my Time Capsule would work just fine with it, but the two don't want to play nice. I'm getting network access, but the yellow light on the Time Capsule won't stop blinking. I have unplugged it a couple of times, but it doesn't help. They are sitting side by side; is that a problem? What can I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I just switched from a Comcast cable to a CenturyLink DSL router. I was told my Time Capsule would work just fine with it, but the two don't want to play nice. I'm getting network access, but the yellow light on the Time Capsule won't stop blinking. I have unplugged it a couple of times, but it doesn't help. They are sitting side by side; is that a problem? What can I do?

TC is itself a wireless router as well and you can't have both of them conflicting. You will have to disable the router function I believe though not certain because I don't have one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
It would probably be best if you ran you TC through the setup again with the new device. You likely have 2 devices in router mode (as mentioned above) and that is where the conflict is coming from. The TC will likely need to be in bridge mode to function properly and get your all clear green light.

The setup on the TC will walk through everything and get you going in the right direction.

OP
G
Reaction score
It's fixed now

I figured it out. I just went into Time Machine and looked at the settings there. Time Capsule actually self-diagnoses, so it told me what setting to change. (Man, I LOVE that Time Capsule!) After changing one little thing it works perfectly with the CenturyLink modem. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I figured it out. I just went into Time Machine and looked at the settings there. Time Capsule actually self-diagnoses, so it told me what setting to change. (Man, I LOVE that Time Capsule!) After changing one little thing it works perfectly with the CenturyLink modem. :D

Good news:D

AGW

Reaction score
Router and TC

Gloria

You mentioned you changed one little thing on your previous thread, what was the thing you changed on your TC that allowed the TC and router to work simultaneously? Many thanks

OP
G
Reaction score
Eek! I wish I had been paying more attention. The TC pretty much told me what the problem was and what to change, so I'm not sure. I think I went into Set Up Time Capsule and changed the setting under "Configure IPv4:" to "using DHCP" instead of Manually. Sorry for the lame answer, but I hope it helps. Also, what JohnCL said above is correct.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.