Super slow imac after running bootcamp

Reaction score
Super slow os x after running bootcamp

Hi I'm here just asking for some help!!

I have a 27" iMac i5 which I bought at the beginning of last year, everything has been fine until today.

I use bootcamp to run windows 7 just to use autocad for work, for everything else I use the iMac as you should with osx lion . Today I loaded a drawing into autocad on windows 7 and it just froze up in the end I restarted the iMac and ever since it has been running really slow and I mean REALLY slow It takes over half a hour to boot up .

I've tried various things like stopping spotlight indexing the bootcamp partition , running disk repairs and pretty much everything in the Basic troubleshooting thread in the end I decided to do a clean install but even that has taken over 2 hours and it's only just over half way. even tho it is progressing I'm sure it shouldn't take this long

Has anybody got any ideas Could it be software or a hardware issue maybe hard drive or ram ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What did running disk repair tell you about your hard drive? The slow down could be the symptom of a failing hard drive but could also be caused by other things.

OP
S
Reaction score
After 4 hrs the clean install finally finished everything I do is still just really slow

When I verify the hard drive it says the volume appears to be ok

I Tried to verify disk permissions it gives me a estimated time of 5 hours and going by my recent experience
That could be longer so I'll try that again when I get home later

The harddrive doesn't make any strange noises don't know if that helps

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you running any anti-virus software? AV software is famous for causing slow downs among other problems. If not, I would say the hard drive has problems even though it verifies OK. You might want to run "SMARTReporter" to check the hard drive. It's a free download from here.

OP
S
Reaction score
I have nothing Apart from the operating system installed

I managed to get the apple hardware test to run and it came back with apple hardware test error 4hdd/11/40000000: sata(0,0)

Which I believe is a problem with the hdd or the logic board
But then I did a extended test and it came back with no trouble found

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy a new hdd and hope that works

Can you recommend a good hdd ?

It seems to take longer and longer to boot up now if I can get it running I will try smartreporter I'm kind of crossing my fingers that it is the hdd now

Thanks for your help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I managed to get the apple hardware test to run and it came back with apple hardware test error 4hdd/11/40000000: sata(0,0)

Yeah, I have to agree with you regards to the hard drive. At best, it's intermittent. As far as recommending a replacement, the folks at Other World Computing are authorized Mac dealers and stock a large variety of hard drives and other components for Macs. Here's the LINK to their site.

You might also wish to go to the ifixit web site and take a look at their step by step instructions for changing out a hard drive in an iMac. Any kind of maintenance on an iMac can be a challenge because the entire front panel display must be removed before you can gain access to the inside.

You're also going to need several special tools which you can order from ifixit at the same time. (Glass Suckers and Torx drivers.)

iFixit: The free repair manual

Let us know how it turns out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.