New 24-70 Arrives

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06 I3, 16Gig Ram, OSX 10.6.8
I'm genuinely excited! My new Nikon 24-70mm F/2.8 AFS FX lens just arrived. The first thing I did was put its 77mm UV filter on for protection. At $1700 the $50 filter protects my investment.

This glass is huge! With the lens hood attached it's wide, long and heavy. On my present D7000 it feels really good in my big hands. I've always held SLR cameras with the barrel of the lens cradled on my left hand so the setup is balanced. The zoom ring being so close to the camera body is different but I'm sure it won't take me long to get used to. The lens focused really fast, so much so that it surprised me. I'm going to love the extra speed of this glass at F/2.8.

By luck we're supposed to have a sunny day tomorrow so I'm going to take the gear out to shoot some test shots. I took two shots inside my apartment, one at 24mm and the next at 70mm and checked the Exif data on the shots for focal length on the DX body. To my surprise it indicated 24mm and 70mm. Why was there no 1.5X multiplier?

I look forward to the arrival of the new D800 I ordered for this lens. I know my friends are shocked at the money I just spent on the new gear, nearly $5,000 with all the filters and memory cards. I have a 16Gig 600X CF card and an 8 Gig Class 10 SD card for the new camera. All is ready as I can use the 77mm CPL from my Tokina 11-16mm zoom on the new 24-70mm.

Nikon-24-70mm-f-28G-AF-S-Lens-XL.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you ever take a trip to Japan Bob, there's a district in Tokyo known for its camera and electronic stores. It's been some years since I've been there (vacation while working in Hawaii) but I'm sure it's even larger and better than before. Just be sure to take all your credit cards with you if you ever go. :)

And enjoy all your photo equipment while you can. Life is too short.

OP
bobmielke
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06 I3, 16Gig Ram, OSX 10.6.8
If you ever take a trip to Japan Bob, there's a district in Tokyo known for its camera and electronic stores. It's been some years since I've been there (vacation while working in Hawaii) but I'm sure it's even larger and better than before. Just be sure to take all your credit cards with you if you ever go. :)

And enjoy all your photo equipment while you can. Life is too short.

I was stationed in Misawa, Japan in 1970. It's where I bought my first cameras that included a Canon FTQL SLR. I also had a ball with the high end stereo shops there that sold great stuff at half the cost of the same gear in the United States. I managed one short trip to Tokyo and visited the Sony Building. All this was 42 years ago. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.