can't boot cloned drive

Reaction score
I am a newbie, so bear with me. I have a white MacBook. 2gb, 160 hard drive. I cloned drive to a 500gb drive via firewire enclosure. Disk Utility says the drive is good. Startup with option shows the drive and the internal drive as bootable drives, but when I click on it I get the rotating asterisk, and eventually a circle with a slash indicating it's not going to boot. Any suggestions? Thanks for looking and thinking about it. I would like to put the 500gb drive into the computer, I wanted to see if it would boot before I put it in the computer. I cloned it with Carbon Copy.:)

Reaction score
GUID option selected when the drive was formatted? I understand that to boot from a drive this is necessary...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Carbon Copy Cloner will not render a drive bootable unless...

1. It's formatted to the Mac OS Extended Journaled file system and

2. The partition scheme is set to GUID.

Did you clone the 500 GB drive from the 160 GB using the above parameters?

Reaction score

So you can format a disc for Mac with GUID but not Extended Journaled? I thought that if you did GUID you'd be good to go, leaving other settings at default?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Read my post again. You have to do both otherwise CCC will not render the drive bootable. SuperDuper works the same way.

OP
J
Reaction score

Yes. I did clone using these parameters. Do you think it would be ok to put in the MacBook to see if it will boot?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't think it will hurt to try but it is not likely to be successful. Generally, if the machine supports booting from an external drive the clone should boot it whether it is internal or external.

I've cloned drives more times than I want to count usually with good success. I did have one instance where the clone would boot but not get past the login screen.

Reaction score
From Apple, FWIW:

GUID.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You format as Mac OS Extended (Journalled)

Then partition, even if one single partition, using the GUID scheme. Two different steps.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the guidance. I did as you advised and it did boot from the firewire connected enclosure. I then installed it into the MacBook and all is well. This Forum is terrific. Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.