What size screwdriver is needed to upgrade iMac i5 RAM?

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I just took delivery of a refurbished iMac 2.5 GHz i5 today and am going to upgrade the RAM in the very near future, seeing as RAM's as cheap as chips (no pun intended :p) right now.

Okay, my question is this: What size screwdriver do I need to undo the captive "Philips" screw that holds the RAM slot cover in place? I have searched and asked my good friend Mr. Google, but so far haven't found the definitive answer. :(

I'm thinking it could be a Philips #2, but I could be wrong on this one. :Confused:

Thanks in advance. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Any small/medium Philips will do...Something I never gave any thought to when I did mine...They're just snugged in there anyway...Pay more attention to seating them properly...give a firm, steady push and wait for the "click"....

OP
Rottie
Reaction score
Any small/medium Philips will do...Something I never gave any thought to when I did mine...They're just snugged in there anyway...Pay more attention to seating them properly...give a firm, steady push and wait for the "click"....
Thanks for that. :)
I just don't want to chew up the groove in the head with a screwdriver that doesn't fit properly, especially as the screw is captive, so can't be replaced.

Thanks for the info on the seating - I was aware of that, but it never hurts to be reminded. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm thinking it could be a Philips #2, but I could be wrong on this one.

It just so happens you're right. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No. :) It just so happens that I recently upgraded the memory in my 2011 iMac so I was familiar with what size was needed. Removing the screws was easy, it was getting the new modules to seat properly that was the difficult part. Wore out my thumbs pushing the miserable things down into the slots. But it was worth the effort. :)

OP
Rottie
Reaction score
RAM's arrived! :)

Hi all,

Just an update - I ordered some more RAM for my iMac on Friday afternoon (2x4Gb 1333MHz DDR3 @ £15 each) and it arrived today. :)
While I had the plastic out, I also ordered APP for iMac. :) It only cost me £82.00 excluding the tax, so altogether the GT was £134.40. :)

I just got home from work and installed it in the iMac and now I have 12Gb, so hopefully I won't run low any time soon. ;)

All in all I'm a very happy bunn...err I mean Rottie :D

ATM.jpg

Memory.jpg

Reaction score
No. :) It just so happens that I recently upgraded the memory in my 2011 iMac so I was familiar with what size was needed. Removing the screws was easy, it was getting the new modules to seat properly that was the difficult part. Wore out my thumbs pushing the miserable things down into the slots. But it was worth the effort. :)
I've seen this observation from others, but for some reason I found it quite easy to insert the new RAM module. Hardest part was just lifting the 27" iMac down to the floor.

OP
Rottie
Reaction score
I've seen this observation from others, but for some reason I found it quite easy to insert the new RAM module. Hardest part was just lifting the 27" iMac down to the floor.
I found it extremely easy to seat the RAM, too. :) Mind you, I didn't follow Apple's "recommended" way of flipping the iMac over on a soft towel; I just unplugged all the cables and moved the iMac forwards on my desk, so that it was almost on the edge of the desk, with the front edge of the iMac overhanging the edge of the desk, then unscrewed the RAM slot and seated the RAM that way. :)

Job done in under 5 minutes. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.