PAssword Reset

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to macs. My work has one from a former employee. We would like to remove his account and use it again.

I was reading a few things about it, and ran into some problems. So can someone please help me out.

Here are the problems:

Boot Camp is installed, so I am unable to boot into Single user mode.(to reset the root password)

We Do not have the OS X install disk, as well as from what I've read, since Boot camp is installed we cannot boot to the disk since the Primary boot drive is the Selection drive for Mac or Windows.

The Mac is a MacBook Air
OS X V 10.5

I am able to get into OS X, as it doesn't need the password to login at startup, but I can't make a new account, or do any administrative tasks. Can someone please advise me on some steps I can take.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
To be honest your best bet is to get a copy of Snow Leopard, they should still be on sale.

The apple store is down at the mo but $29 bucks should get you an install disk from Apple, or you may find a retail store like PC world that has them

It is a whole lot less hassle to get a cheap install disk than muck around resetting passwords, especially as the easiest way to do a reset is to boot from the DVD or USB

OP
S
Reaction score
Password reset

I see,
Will i still be able to boot from USB (since the macbook air has no CD rom) with Boot camp installed?

If i get a cd, how do i set it up so it will be on the USB so i can boot to it?

OP
S
Reaction score
Once i was able to get into single user mode i was able to reset the password.
Thanks for all the advice.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.