iCould Sync issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple iMac 24' 2.4GHZ/iPad 2/iPhone 4
Hi All

Hope you can help me understand the below:

I have 3 apple products (iMac/iPhone/iPad) which are all using icould to sync my notes/mail/calendar etc...

The issue i have is when i recieve an email on a device (it shows up on all 3 devices like it should) but i want it so when i have read the mail or deleted the mail it updates on the other devices, atm i have to keep deleting/reading the emails from all 3 devices.

What can i do to get past this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Are you using an Apple iCloud email address?

Risking stating the obvious . . . . it should reflect deletions.

Do you have Mail set to On in settings - iCloud on all devices? (whether yes or no it's worth cycling these on-off-on-off-on etc)

Do other iCloud elements like Calendar and Photostream sync ok?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The mail is external (hotmail)

The settings are all set to 'on' within iCould (i will cycle these and try)

All other parts of iCould work fine - but did notice that i deleted events from my ical (iPhone) but it still popped up on my iMac ical app

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Hotmail? - Then that's the issue

Hotmail doesn't use iCloud or indeed any kind of two way syncing like iCloud does or an Exchange or IMAP based service like Yahoo or GMail.

Hotmail uses something called POP3 you can send and receive but deletions and marked as read information isn't reflected back up to the server. Hence the results you're seeing. Hotmail simply don't offer this service.

As noted above Yahoo, Gmail and Apples iCloud email all offer full two-way syncing on their email services. I'm sure there are others too.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah i see, thank you for your help. i'm sure to be updating my email service now to one that allows two way sync services.

S

Shine9585

I might be really wrong here but do you need to use i cloud for hotmail?

As it is web based if you turn I cloud off, surely if you read an email on one device, when you check it on another they will be marked as read in hotmail and then appear as read in other devices.

That is just my assumption, i will be running the same hotmail with Mail on iphone and mac set up so i'm hoping thats the case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I might be really wrong here but do you need to use i cloud for hotmail?

No you don't. Thanks my point exactly. They are completely separate things.

As it is web based if you turn I cloud off, surely if you read an email on one device, when you check it on another they will be marked as read in hotmail and then appear as read in other devices.

That is just my assumption, i will be running the same hotmail with Mail on iphone and mac set up so i'm hoping thats the case.

Having iCloud switched on or off will not impact hotmail (i mentioned toggling it on and off in my first post on the assumption that iCloud mail was being used).

But either way Hotmail does not cascade read/not read information up or down.

For example I have setup new emails appear in the webmail interface of Hotmail. I mark them all as read. I go to my iPhone, it downloads the same 5 emails - all marked unread.
I delete one of the emails on my phone - check the web interface - it's still there.

C

chas_m

Just switch to an IMAP-based provider (Yahoo, iCloud, GMail et al) and that's it. Problem solved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.