Constantly need hard drive repair

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals, I have a 17" macbook pro and recently had to take it in to my distributer to make use of my warranty and get a new hard drive as my previous was having issues with always needing to be verified/repaired. Take note that I have only owned my macbook for a month now, so I thought it was strange to get a hardware failure so quickly on a new machine, however the assistant at the store said it was not uncommon. The main reason for taking it into the store tho was that after a while the boot screen started to become stuck indefinitely, not displaying the ( / ) symbol meaning a hardware failure had occurred but simply the apple logo forever. Once I force restarted it I was able to get it to run again but it would always happen on a fresh boot/restart. I had run bootcamp on the hard drive and had a legit copy of windows 7 installed (first time I've paid for a windows OS and I put it on my mac xD).

At any rate I got my macbook back today and when I booted it up I had all my old data restored on my machine again, but the bootcamp partition and the windows install was gone so I am assuming that the repairman was able to retrieve all my Mac os specific stuff easily but as he did not have my windows install key left well enough alone. Now I am trying to run bootcamp to get windows back on and I run into an issue where the bootcamp assistant cannot partition my hard drive as it says it is unable to move some files( specifically it says
"The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.
Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.
" ),
following some posts online I have tried verifying the disk again to fix this issue and am once again running into the horrible loop where my Hard drive is reporting as being corrupt and needing repair, I repair it and I get it all over again. The boot issue has not reared its head yet but I am worried its only a matter of time. Is it normal for a Mac Harddrive to need to be constantly verified and repaired? Is it possible the repair guy only deleted my evil windows partition and considered the matter fixed as the boot issue has gone into remission for now? Is it possible to get false positives possibly from a bad OS install? Or do I really have to go through the hassle of reformatting my drive to get it all to work correctly.....

Thanks for any reply's
"Distressed Mac Noob"

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is there an Apple store nearby or one that you can get to without too much trouble? Not saying the distributor you took the machine to be repaired didn't do a proper job, but with a new machine it's best to let Apple deal with it.

The problem you're having with the hard drive is not a common problem. Hard drives do fail and even new ones straight out of the box can be defective (happened to me), but it's certainly not common. And to have the same thing happen after it came back from repair is suspect.

The Boot Camp problem you ran into after the repair can be dealt with later on but only after the hard drive is working the way it should.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Macbook Pro i7 - Snow Leopard; iPhone 3GS
I'm afraid your problem is much more common than it should be. I've got a quad-core 2011 MBP that I've had for 10 months. After 4 months of use I started seeing the beach ball, which were caused by HDD failing. Took to Apple store and they did a "soft" repair by reformatting and reinstalled the OS, which just wasted more of my time since the drive started showing errors again a couple of days later. Took it back again and they replaced the drive. Believing that there is an inherent heat mitigation flaw in my model MBP, I purchased a CoolerMaster platform for it.

All was well for a few months, until this week. It's starting again. Today I backed all my data up in prep for another round of HDD formatting. This is the most expensive computer I've ever bought, and the most unreliable one too. I need more than 4 months out of a hard drive. What a piece of junk.

OP
W
Reaction score
And yes, we now have the behaviour of a infinite boot loop occurring again, huzzah!
Going to do as the disk utility said and reformat my OS drive and reinstall as there is a distinct possibility that I have managed to somehow break apples OS, not sure on how easy this is to do but as this is my first mac I have all faith in my ability to break the thing. Will let you know if this actually fixes my issue although to be honest my self-perceived probability of this being fixed by me is low. Most likely I think I will be taking this back to the store again. F*** :Lips-Are-Sealed:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Have you done a hardware test? I've seen a few cases where bad RAM can cause the hard drive to corrupt and need repairing. I'd highly recommend looking into a possible RAM issue if nothing else is seeming to fix it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.