Redirect audio output to a UPnP Renderer

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Sony Hifi System that can act as a UPnP renderer.

I currently use PlugPlayer as a UPnP Control point to play music from my MacBook Pro to the Hifi. It works quite nice but PlugPlayer interface is quite bad.

I'm looking for a (software) solution to redirect any audio played on my MacBook Pro to my Hifi System, that way I will be able to use iTunes instead of PlugPlayer to manage my music.

Is there a solution to do that ?

Thanks.

Reaction score
I have the same issue

@ chas_m: Maybe Strash was not very exact in his description but SoundSource will not suffice. Maybe I am wrong, but SSource is IMHO just another front-end for MacOS' Sound and MIDI Preferences Panel.

I think that the problem needs some clarification: (Strash tell me please if I understand correctly) the idea is to be able to direct the audio output from any app (mainly music players) OR from the sound card to a Digital Media Renderer (DMR) on the network, all this over wifi.

Now I can access the data on the NAS, play it with PlugPlayer, Songbook or
Kinsky on my Mac
and within those apps I can choose which one of the networked UPnP media devices outputs the sound.

It works but the apps are not very good (visually and functionally).

The idea (and here we need HELP) would be to be able to use iTunes or Songbird or VLC or any other app to control which song is played, to get the data from the NAS and to send it (stream or otherwise) over wifi to an external Digital Media Renderer (DMR) which would output it eventually through the speakers. If one could just select the networked DMR as the sound output from the drop-down menu of the sound preferences panel would be most elegant. This is where it gets difficult: to get the Mac to see the networked UPnP DMR as a sound output device.

Imagine Airplay between UPnP enabled devices but running all kinds of apps not just QuickTime and iTunes.

PS
There are other solutions, I have read, yet they are more cumbersome and require scripting skills (for example: icecast server to stream locally and you pick up the stream with an iRadio enabled device) but they are not meant for mere mortals like me and are in no way elegant.

OP
S
Reaction score
vladmihai, yes you understand my problem. Unfortunately I'm stuck with my current solution where I use an other app to play media on my Hifi. This app is very crappy but I will live with it if there isn't any other solution.

Thank you for your time.

Reaction score
Redirecting built in output to UPnP renderer

Hi pretty sure i've got a solution for you, i have a similar issue that i didn't want to have to use 3.5mm cable to have spotify audio on my TV sound system, but i wanted control on my mac still...

I have been using PS3 media server for some time to play video and audio files from my MacBookPro, however spofity presented a challenge as it is stream based..

Using Nicecast + Ps3 media server(with web radio setup) did the trick.

use nice cast to take built in output "system audio" or any specific apps audio and turn it into a local or web radio stream. Point PS3 media server to that address and port using the web radio plugin and viola!

Works great for me, shame that Nicecast is paid, i'm sure there would be a way to use something free like quicktime broadcaster... But i haven't had any luck with those products, i just get an "incompatible data" message on the PS3...

Hope this helps, if anyone has any fresh ideas let me know, i'm keen to have a simpler solution should one be available.

Hi,

I have a Sony Hifi System that can act as a UPnP renderer.

I currently use PlugPlayer as a UPnP Control point to play music from my MacBook Pro to the Hifi. It works quite nice but PlugPlayer interface is quite bad.

I'm looking for a (software) solution to redirect any audio played on my MacBook Pro to my Hifi System, that way I will be able to use iTunes instead of PlugPlayer to manage my music.

Is there a solution to do that ?

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.