Which should I pick? MBP 15" 2.2GHz Early or Late 2011?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15 2.2 i7 4GB 750GB
I'm looking to buy a new MacBook Pro after my current mid-2009 13" 2.26GHz MBP has been giving me some trouble. Nothing I can't handle, but I feel like its time for an upgrade anyway. It has served me well and has been more than enough for web browsing and such.

I've been mainly researching into refurbished 15" models and I've come across the current 2.2Ghz model and the previous generation one. The earlier model scores higher on GeekBench's benchmark test, so it appears to me that the previous (Early 2011) model is the better of the two. However I can't be sure and I'd like some feedback. So basically my main question is; which of the two are better? I want to install Windows 7 using bootcamp on it in order to play light games like World of Tanks and Runescape, as well as the occasional game of Portal or Team Fortress 2.

I'm also open to suggestions of other, possibly cheaper, models that may satisfy my needs.

I'm looking to buy refurbished, by the way.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Links to the MacBooks:

Refurbished Early 2011 15" 2.2 MBP
Refurbished Late 2011 15" 2.2 MBP

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hope 'forum bumps' aren't against the rules, but I'd really like some feedback on this.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I looked into the details...and they both look exactly the same (I could fine very little difference)...so I say go with the less expensive one.:)

Unless you want the bigger HD...then go for the more expensive one.

The difference between the two seems to be just the size of the HD.

- Nick

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only main differences is that the GPU in the cheaper has 512mb compared to 1GB in the more expensive one, and the 'turbo' of the CPU in the cheaper is slightly less. I don't really care about the turbo but I'm worried what the decrease in GPU memory will do for gaming.

I think I'll go with the cheaper one.

Thanks again!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry about that...I missed that detail. For the prices we're talking...I would definitely get the one with the 1gig of video ram!:) That model gets you the bigger HD as well.

The HD and ram can always be upgraded...but the video hardware cannot...that's why you should definitely get the one with the 1gig of video ram (especially since the $$$ is not that much more).

- Nick

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thanks for your opinion. By the way, I have a 1TB drive I'd put in either one as soon as I get it so the HD isn't a concern for me. I have some more thinking to do then haha, I can't decide wether or not I need the extra GPU memory.

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have some more thinking to do then haha, I can't decide wether or not I need the extra GPU memory.

Well think of it this way...if you don't need the 1gig of video ram now...maybe there will be a reason in the future (unless you're able to see the future)!;)

Second. Even if you never need the 1gig of video ram...it could make the computer more attractive to buyers when it comes time to sell it.

Always have to think of resale (even though you haven't even purchased it yet)...since VERY few of us actually keep a laptop until it's absolutely useless & undesirable to anyone.

- Nick

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ended up going with the Early 2011. I chose 1 day shipping and low and behold... its coming monday. Makes total sense :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ended up going with the Early 2011. I chose 1 day shipping and low and behold... its coming monday. Makes total sense :(

Either way...you end up with a great computer!:)

- Nick

p.s. Regarding the shipping...not sure what the frown is for???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.